Looking for concise list WIDEBEAM pinch points when in the south

Brumey

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

That is a bit of a misnomer. The K&A is more like a narrow canal with wide locks, built to accomodate the Honey Street barges, which had Barrel shaped hulls. The canal profile is also barrel shaped in many places, which restricts the operational width for flat sided hulls. When I moored near Dundas, I witnessed quite a few widebeams run hard aground whilst still some six feet away from the offside bank.

The trouble is that modern thinking seems to be that if a boat fits through a lock it fits the navigation regardless of profile both above & below water…the constant gouging of the puddle layer can do as much damage as the cabin hitting the bridges. 

15 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The K&A is more like a narrow canal with wide locks, built to accomodate the Honey Street barges, which had Barrel shaped hulls.

Were there any wide canal boats built with the square hull cross section of narrowboats in the time when canals were bring built, and boats were wooden? I suspect not, due to the difficulty of finding sufficient planks long enough to go across the boat width, and the lack of stiffness that would result.  

I reckon flat bottomed wide boats only became a practical proposition on later larger canals, where the canal construction was more mechanised and the boats were built of iron or steel.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Were there any wide canal boats built with the square hull cross section of narrowboats in the time when canals were bring built, and boats were wooden? I suspect not, due to the difficulty of finding sufficient planks long enough to go across the boat width, and the lack of stiffness that would result.  

I reckon flat bottomed wide boats only became a practical proposition on later larger canals, where the canal construction was more mechanised and the boats were built of iron or steel.

That's probably true but whether a fully loaded proper naval shaped wide beam carrying boat was less wide at any point below water than a modern box like wide beam with generally a very shallow water draft is debatable. And then there were likely very deep square hulled carrying narrow boats that routinely occupied spaces below water that neither of the above does or did.

ETA - Perhaps any difference would be that wide beam carrying boats weren't necessarily built to maximum dimensions. But what about the lighters that worked the Regents and up from Brentford?

Edited by Captain Pegg