Using Wigan Dry Dock - advice and tips sought

Featured Posts

Hi 

I m booked into Wigan Dry Dock and wondered if anyone on the forum had experience using it recently?

Questions are: 

Jet washing - I understand the dock is 110v.   Is it a case of hiring a 110v jet wash from a tool hire place.  

Can anyone recommend a local welder who can tack on replacement anodes?

Tom 

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have in the past bolted new anodes to the remains of the steel straps on the old ones when no welder has been available.

Funny you should say that, more and more (inland waterways) yards that I talk too say they are moving away from welding on the anodes.

They now weld a short bolt onto the Hull and then the anode can simply be bolted in place - it also makes it so much easier for adding subsequent anodes as they can be "done in the water" by the owner with just a spanner.

Saves time and cost of a lift out / in and cost of a welder.

They ca be done when they need doing, not when it is convenient because the boat is out for blacking etc.

Seems like a win-win to me.

It has been the standard method on Lumpy water boats (Steel & GRP)  for 'ever'.

Anode 'studs' with anodes removed.

Inked16-10-19d-LI.jpg

New Anodes fitted to the studs

20191017-134944.jpg

20191017-135026.jpg

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have in the past bolted new anodes to the remains of the steel straps on the old ones when no welder has been available.

Hire an engine powered wash?

Ill look into it.  I have a generator and a jet wash - but dont think that is in the spirit of the rules though !  

I like the idea of threaded stud for anodes or bolting through the existing tabs.  

Thanks 

Tom 

You will get a much better pressure washer if you seek out an IC powered one, than if you rely on  single phase electric ones.  The big hire shops like HSS et al. do them, but you will need to book one in advance.  Remember that nowadays they are likely to require you to run a diesel one on white fuel, not red.

Bolt on Anodes are fine provided you get a sound, and enduring,  electrical connection between anode and boat,  as well as a mechanical mounting.

N

• Greenie 1