Identifying parts

Featured Posts

That makes sense. Thanks. I think it's knackered and disconnected. The engine will start in gear. 

I've taken the carbs off for a good clean, engine keeps cutting out randomly for no obvious reason so just trying to get to the bottom of it. Appreciate the help.

Worse cutting out hot or cold. If hot I would suspect the ignition module but not particularly familiar with post 1990 outboards.

You might find an ignition module from a Suzuki motorbike might job the job for inland use and be cheaper than a marine one. I read this works for Hondas. Also make sure the ignition module has a good earth.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Worse cutting out hot or cold. If hot I would suspect the ignition module but not particularly familiar with post 1990 outboards.

You might find an ignition module from a Suzuki motorbike might job the job for inland use and be cheaper than a marine one. I read this works for Hondas. Also make sure the ignition module has a good earth.

That sounds like a plan.The engine starts and runs fine and cuts out intermittently after about an hour of use. Cuts out quite often when manovering fwd and rev, so that burnt out little lockout switch maybe the cause. 

I didn't realise ignition modules were interchangeable, that maybe the next issue. Thanks.

Just now, NEBUCHADNEZZAR said:

I didn't realise ignition modules were interchangeable, that maybe the next issue. Thanks.

Please read carefully, I did not say they were interchangeable, I said they MIGHT be, so needs a bit of research. If a second-hand module for a similarly engined bike was available at a good price I think it might be worth a punt as long as you accept there is no guarantee it will work.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Please read carefully, I did not say they were interchangeable, I said they MIGHT be, so needs a bit of research. If a second-hand module for a similarly engined bike was available at a good price I think it might be worth a punt as long as you accept there is no guarantee it will work.

I understand, I'll have a look through the parts catalogues. I suspect the part numbers may be the same. I do't know a great deal about these engines, but why would you suspect an ignition module if the engine cuts out when hot ?. Is that the most likely cause ?. Thanks

I think I've solved it!!!

Just looking again at the photo, I've realised that the metal clip that the pointer slides over is 90 deg the wrong way so it catches when you change from fwd to rev. Might not be that simple but I'll try it.

6 minutes ago, NEBUCHADNEZZAR said:

I understand, I'll have a look through the parts catalogues. I suspect the part numbers may be the same. I do't know a great deal about these engines, but why would you suspect an ignition module if the engine cuts out when hot ?. Is that the most likely cause ?. Thanks

Suzuki engines are the devils spawn when it come to outboards, always have been and always will be. Going back quite a few years an outboard dealer told me he wouldn't have one given to him. Thay have always been 'too technical' and reliant on electronics and they just not not operate well in a boating environment.

My No2 Son bought a boat with an 8hp Suzuki, it never ran 'right' phoned all over the UK to try and find someone to service it - eventually found someone, sent it off to be serviced, came back and it was worse that it went. It has sat in my shed now for (maybe) 5 years.

Once you get it sorted out It would be a good idea to get it on Ebay and buy a reliable one such as a Honda or a Yamaha, even an old Evinrude or Johnson. 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Suzuki engines are the devils spawn when it come to outboards, always have been and always will be. Going back quite a few years an outboard dealer told me he wouldn't have one given to him. Thay have always been 'too technical' and reliant on electronics and they just not not operate well in a boating environment.

My No2 Son bought a boat with an 8hp Suzuki, it never ran 'right' phoned all over the UK to try and find someone to service it - eventually found someone, sent it off to be serviced, came back and it was worse that it went. It has sat in my shed now for (maybe) 5 years.

Once you get it sorted out It would be a good idea to get it on Ebay and buy a reliable one such as a Honda or a Yamaha, even an old Evinrude or Johnson. 

The outboard came with the boat, wouldn't have been my choice. But I'm reluctant to spend on a replacement when the future is an electric drive when finances allow.

29 minutes ago, NEBUCHADNEZZAR said:

Look, I told you I have little experience on post 1990 outboards, but I have heard a number of reports across a range of makers and models of ignition modules failing  when they get hot. I have also see and heard about ignition module mountings working loose or getting corroded/dirty causing similar problems. I can't give you the most likely cause because I do not have enough experience. I am sure the automotive and marine part numbers will be different.

14 minutes ago, NEBUCHADNEZZAR said:

The outboard came with the boat, wouldn't have been my choice. But I'm reluctant to spend on a replacement when the future is an electric drive when finances allow.

Understand completely it was the same with No2 Son. He ended up buying another boat with a Yamaha, I have still both his boat (in the yard) and the Suzuki engine (in the shed)

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Look, I told you I have little experience on post 1990 outboards, but I have heard a number of reports across a range of makers and models of ignition modules failing  when they get hot. I have also see and heard about ignition module mountings working loose or getting corroded/dirty causing similar problems. I can't give you the most likely cause because I do not have enough experience. I am sure the automotive and marine part numbers will be different.

No worries. I wouldn't hold anyone to advice given freely on the internet, unless the same thing was said by many sources ( good chance it's the right answer then), just looking for anyone input, even if it's not the right answer, it might spark an idea in me or someone else. Either way I'm always grateful for any knowledge.

That yellow/white/ green  wire from the switch looks horribly twisted and well banjaxed.

It might even have been chafing on the casing and causing a short intermittently.  Not likely a problem if it is fully disconnected at the other end of course but worth investigating if you are fitting new spark modules and or switch.

N