Overnight mooring recommendations in Manchester

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, PeterScott said:

31083.jpg?w=900&fm=webp&s=a086fe9df2687f

31937.jpg?w=900&fm=webp&s=5109f20979c93a

That's the Standedge dimensions from the CRT website here. The table is trying to describe an angle and has one-inch heights for (D) and for each inch lower (reading from bottom to top), there is two inches wider in the (E) column. And that was easy enough to type, in 2001 when it was written (and not changed since). There you go: four foot no inches; four foot two inches; four foot four inches; four foot six inches; four foot eight inches; four foot ten inches ... err, oh, ten inches to the foot: that will be five foot no inches, then: next is five foot two inches ...

Of course, it's a three dimensional problem, so one profile will be harder on a seventyfoot boat than a twenty foot one. And it's not scientifically measured, either. We had a chap trying to measure the width with a stick and dropping vericals either side: the answer came out as seven foot one. Errr ...  "if it had been that we would never have passed 21W at Uppermill" ...

I agree, we went through the tunnel on a friends boat and the measurement was little more than a calibrated stick and a bit of skill and judgement "you'll be fine". I also asked if my boat would ever get through as we are over 70 foot long and  6 foot 11 and a bit wide, their reply was "if you can get to the tunnel mouth we will get you through the tunnel". The real world is not quite the same as the paper rules and regulations world.

On 03/04/2022 at 14:26, haggis said:

I wonder if the Covid rules which said that  the skipper and the CRT person had to be two metres apart going through the tunnel, will still be in place this year. This means that boats with a trad stern or limited space at the back have to be driven through by the CRT person and the skipper has to be below.  I think most skippers would prefer any touching of the sides be done by themselves and not a CRT skipper who is not familiar with the boat. 

Went through in September 2020 chaperone issued me with overhalls, mask, goves etc. Said he disliked old engine canal boats with tradition controls. I said I would prefer to steer the boat. No problem he just sat in the boatmans cabin. Didn't stop at any check in points as we were clocked by crt in the van at each point. So only 2 people for the entire transit. 

Why can't they do that all the time i don't know. No blue signs in sight. 😜