place to moor for winter in yorkshire?

lucifers den

Featured Posts

Hi there

It is my first winter on the canals, and its coming to the time where we want to stop cruising and get a permenant spot for a few months.

We are looking for somewhere that is close to facilities such as shower, toilet, possibly electric.. although we are'nt going to hold our breath for that. Somewhere with a little corner shop near by and a good supply of coal available would be lovely, but i know that might be wishful thinking.

Does anyone know of such a fairytale place? where the people are all sittingon an eve singing and filling the air with merry cheer.

Does such a place exist?

A safe little spot will do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No idea of price but the chap who had Aspley Marina has electric plus there is a BW sani block.

A real gem could be Slaithwaite (Sla'wit) on the Narrow - brand new Sani block and in the village centre with a lovely basin.

Brighouse could be a possibility - very handy as they are virtually in the town centre.

BW rent the Broad Cut moorings out over the winter but there aren't any real facilities apart from water and refuge

The stretch around Apperley Bridge near Leeds might be possible, you're close to the marina for pumpout, fuel www.cvmarine.co.uk (try them for a mooring), they also have some moorings up near Shipley (but no services there) I know one boat that spent the winter near Rodley. Kildwick looks nice between Silsden and Skipton, it has a winding hole, and you can get into Skipton for services, no locks on this section means you'll usually be able to navigate. Pub in Kildwick, the White Lion, is apparantly good but I have never been there.

No idea of price but the chap who had Aspley Marina has electric plus there is a BW sani block.

A real gem could be Slaithwaite (Sla'wit) on the Narrow - brand new Sani block and in the village centre with a lovely basin.

Brighouse could be a possibility - very handy as they are virtually in the town centre.

BW rent the Broad Cut moorings out over the winter but there aren't any real facilities apart from water and refuge

In the risk of sounding unboaterly.What exactly is a sani block? :-o

Kirk Bramwith lock as loads of space and I'm sure there winter moorings available, it's got bogs and shower too, so has Keadby. Keadby has 3 pubs within spittin distance and a village shop, and a 24hr Tesco 3 miles away, and a Indian delivery service! what more could you want?. Rawcliffe Bridge might be worth trying too, but no facilities except in village. All 3 are BW spots so should be able to get info from Leeds.

Could try the Bingley Arms at Horbury, it has some moorings outside, don't know what the score is on long term mooring, but so long as you keep the landlord sweet, I don't think you'll be bothered there. My sister used to run the pub and I'm sure the mooring rights belonged to the pub. :P