Pagans Afloat

Stourbridgeguy

Featured Posts

quote : Professor Archie Roy of Glasgow University’s physics and astronomy department has tested Smith over the past five years and believes he has genuine psychic powers which cannot be explained using the five senses.

He said: "I would be hard put to find anyone else equal to his incredible ability. He is the Beckham of mediums.

"Watching Gordon - and I have got to know him very well - he has demonstrated that he is a completely honest individual.

"He is not one of the world’s geniuses but he has this incredible psychic gift. He can stand up in a hall full of people and give names, addresses, circumstances of people’s death."

Roy has been testing Smith and 14 other mediums over a five-year period.

They are kept in a separate room and the audience are given cards which have been selected at random.

Not allowing Smith to see the audience eliminates "cold readings", where charlatans guess about their subjects based on clothes, accent and body language. It also cuts out the ‘Barnum effect’ of performers fishing for information.

The odds of Smith getting so many answers correct consistently would be a million to one, said Roy, and the tests would have had to be run for five million years to get Smith’s results.

"I would not go so far as to say it proves survival after death, but it proves that capable mediums obtain information they could not get through the five senses," he said. But he added with a laugh: "If, when I die, I find out I no longer exist, I will be very surprised!"

This article: http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1233972004

Last updated: 23-Oct-04 23:46 GMT

full article:- http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1233972004

Source: Scotlan on Sunday

Edited by Halo

quote : Professor Archie Roy of Glasgow University's physics and astronomy department has tested Smith over the past five years and believes he has genuine psychic powers which cannot be explained using the five senses.

He said: "I would be hard put to find anyone else equal to his incredible ability. He is the Beckham of mediums.

"Watching Gordon - and I have got to know him very well - he has demonstrated that he is a completely honest individual.

"He is not one of the world's geniuses but he has this incredible psychic gift. He can stand up in a hall full of people and give names, addresses, circumstances of people's death."

Roy has been testing Smith and 14 other mediums over a five-year period.

They are kept in a separate room and the audience are given cards which have been selected at random.

Not allowing Smith to see the audience eliminates "cold readings", where charlatans guess about their subjects based on clothes, accent and body language. It also cuts out the 'Barnum effect' of performers fishing for information.

The odds of Smith getting so many answers correct consistently would be a million to one, said Roy, and the tests would have had to be run for five million years to get Smith's results.

"I would not go so far as to say it proves survival after death, but it proves that capable mediums obtain information they could not get through the five senses," he said. But he added with a laugh: "If, when I die, I find out I no longer exist, I will be very surprised!"

This article: http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1233972004

Last updated: 23-Oct-04 23:46 GMT

full article:- http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1233972004

Source: Scotlan on Sunday

What this study appears to suggest is that some people have greater control over their psychic abilities than others. It provides not one shred of evidence of an afterlife.

I am not a complete sceptic, I am well aware of the lack of knowledge about the capabilities of the brain, of a live person.

nor am i a total believer. but you cannot go round poo pooing it all when even you clearly cannot say for sure one way or the other carl. :blink: prove to me it doesn't exist?. you cant. <_< its a very interesting subject and that is why i and a lot of other people are fascinated. anyway you can carry on till the cows come home on this one and still be back at where you started when you began the discussion, so lets go back on topic to "Paganism".

:)

I'm sorry Carl, but I have to side with Anthony and ‘Halo’ (whose cover must surely be blown by now).

I am reading Gordon Smith at the moment, and there is simply too much which cannot be explained.

I have also previously mentioned a reading my mother received from Rita Rogers on the 1st anniversary of my Dad's death, which was totally accurate, included ‘passwords’ which only we would understand, included detail which could never have been guessed or researched and which would have been bizarre or even offensive if it hadn't been spot on.

I am not a practicing Spiritualist, or a practicing anything else for that matter, but everything they seem to believe coincides with my own views, and there has to be more that we can't even begin to understand.

ah i thought that would yank you back in your tracks.

one mention of the goolies coming off and you're all ears now hey?

:blink:

so paganism?

hmm it was around before christianity it was out original religion (am i warm?) umm its all about mother earth and respecting things and having a simple life(im rambling help!)

how did i do?

marks out of ten?

sigh-

ah i thought that would yank you back in your tracks.

one mention of the goolies coming off and you're all ears now hey?

so paganism?

hmm it was around before christianity it was out original religion (am i warm?) umm its all about mother earth and respecting things and having a simple life(im rambling help!)

how did i do?

marks out of ten?

sigh-

I'm all in favour of respecting your surroundings and living a simple life, but what's the altar for?

I'm sorry Carl, but I have to side with Anthony and ‘Halo’ (whose cover must surely be blown by now).

I am reading Gordon Smith at the moment, and there is simply too much which cannot be explained.

I have also previously mentioned a reading my mother received from Rita Rogers on the 1st anniversary of my Dad's death, which was totally accurate, included ‘passwords’ which only we would understand, included detail which could never have been guessed or researched and which would have been bizarre or even offensive if it hadn't been spot on.

I am not a practicing Spiritualist, or a practicing anything else for that matter, but everything they seem to believe coincides with my own views, and there has to be more that we can't even begin to understand.

rita was fantasitc too!

incredible.

cover? what? there's plenty of people filling in the gaps and getting it all wrong but carry on its rather funny.

I'm sorry Carl, but I have to side with Anthony and 'Halo' (whose cover must surely be blown by now).

I have also previously mentioned a reading my mother received from Rita Rogers on the 1st anniversary of my Dad's death, which was totally accurate, included 'passwords' which only we would understand, included detail which could never have been guessed or researched and which would have been bizarre or even offensive if it hadn't been spot on.

But what you describe points to the existence of psychic abilities, not the afterlife.

yes. obviously that information comes from somewhere. as of yet we do not know where it comes from. you can only surmise. could be information trapped in the ether. who knows?. the more you go into this the more mind boggling it gets. trust me.

Edited by Halo

I haven't contributed a word to this topic, but the problem is a bit like listening to a group of racists in your local pub, in some way your silence gives them strength or the illusion that you are in some way 'on their side'.

I am now on record as stating that all this Pagan, spiritualist, occult, or any other silly words that may come up is total rubbish. I even feel uncomfortable using the same forum.

So there !

Edited by John Orentas

yes. obviously that information comes from somewhere. as of yet we do not know where it comes from. you can only surmise. could be information trapped in the ether. who knows?. the more you go into this the more mind boggling it gets. trust me.
I prefer to think it comes from a brain where all electrical activity hasn't stopped and hasn't been underground for quite some time.
I haven't contributed a word to this topic, but the problem is a bit like listening to a group of racists in your local pub, in some way your silence gives them strength or the illusion that you are in some way 'on their side'.I am now on record as stating that all this Pagan, spiritualist, occult, or any other silly words that may come up is total rubbish. I even feel uncomfortable using the same forum.So there !
Do you include all the other superstitions, such as christianity, islam, hinduism etc. John? Or just the non-mainstream ones. I find them all a bit strange, though if I avoided speaking to the faithful, I wouldn't feel comfortable in most situations.

I prefer to think it comes from a brain where all electrical activity hasn't stopped and hasn't been underground for quite some time.Do you include all the other superstitions, such as christianity, islam, hinduism etc. John? Or just the non-mainstream ones. I find them all a bit strange, though if I avoided speaking to the faithful, I wouldn't feel comfortable in most situations.

This is a most excellent, level-headed and proportionate response, I commend it.

I used to go out with a girl many years ago in Norwich. Her mother used to do all sorts of 'readings', cards, tea-leaves, you name it she would read it.... This wasn't a silly hobby, she had a fullish diary of bookings and used to earn her living propogating this Spiriyual nonsense.

The problem is that most people are eminently suggestable, and it is very easy to get a starting point from a few short questions and someones appearance and once they think Uncle Ernie or someone else dear to their heart is trying to 'get through' they would love to believe it, self-fullfilling nonsense.

Viz;

Womble enters stage right

Spiritulist-I see a burrow in SW London

Womble- Oh really, how wonderful, pray continue.....

You can fill in the rest for yourself really.....

Do you include all the other superstitions, such as christianity, islam, hinduism etc. John? Or just the non-mainstream ones. I find them all a bit strange, though if I avoided speaking to the faithful, I wouldn't feel comfortable in most situations.

All of them, Holy gousts, virgin births, raising the dead, as many silly words as you can think of.

Errr would that be the programme where he completely rubbished the Spiritualist church and proved he was as good at reading people and making them think there was a supernatural force at work, as the charlatans passing the collection plate round? Saw it and I agree with you completely. Spiritualism is far more than talking to the dead. It's also about money and ripping off the bereaved when they're at their most vulnerable.Now he's been mentioned, Derren Brown passes the same tests and openly says it is all a load of tosh.go figure.

Erm Carl he didnt rubbish the Spiritual Church he rubbished con artists who cold read get it right boy!

It makes me wonder if anyone here who claims Spiritualism is total tripe would put their money where their mouths are?

What evidence would they require and or information that would confirm there is more the mortal life around us?

Oh come off it John you live in Oldham where racists are rife i really didnt have you down as a one of the kkk which frankly your comments only seem to serve..

Edited by anthony

Erm Carl he didnt rubbish the Spiritual Church he rubbished con artists who cold read get it right boy!

Whatever Anthony. You obviously don't do your research before starting to type.

Quote from Mr. Brown:

"Personally, I have huge issues with people who dishonestly claim to be in touch with the dead yet who know very well the reality of what they're doing. I imagine most mediums would agree with me. In areas this important to people's lives, such a fraud should be thought about in the same way we would think of - a fraudulent doctor. It's despicable. I have less of an issue with people who sincerely believe in what they're doing; though I would still be sceptical of their claims, and worry about people being encouraged to make life decisions based on what I would feel was false information."

A bit more diplomatic than me but a nice way of saying he still thinks it's all tosh.

Edited by carlt

What research Carl?

Where has he rubbished the Spiritual church exactly?

Hes bad mouthing bad fake Mediums!

Really Carl get a clue.

The way you mouth off its no wonder you have had the bad luck you have encountered as you put out nothing but negative energy.

Edited by anthony

The way you mouth off its no wonder you have had the bad luck you have encountered as you put out nothing but negative energy.

Oh the fact that my boat was torched by teenage yobs is my fault because I don't believe in superstitious clap trap?

You see what I mean about the difference between my mickey taking and your tasteless nasty remarks?

That was completely out of order and is typical of the depths oversensitive religious scum have to plumb to win an argument.

I doubt any of the other religious folk on the forum would share your lowlife view.

Oh the fact that my boat was torched by teenage yobs is my fault because I don't believe in superstitious clap trap?

You see what I mean about the difference between my mickey taking and your tasteless nasty remarks?

That was completely out of order and is typical of the depths oversensitive religious scum have to plumb to win an argument.

I doubt any of the other religious folk on the forum would share your lowlife view.

Erm i did not say it was your fault you were a victim of crime due to your disbeliefs in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

As for winning an argument I removed such ego from my thoughts long ago when i realized you are as ignorant as any racist i encounter.

However due to your totally prejudice ignorant rude attitude (oh i forgot to laugh please excuse me,shall i laugh now or later) im not suprised people want to do you bad as you have probably pissed them off with your athletic mouth.

There that clearer for you without any so called religious slant to confuse you?

Edited by anthony