Insurance company requesting out of the water survey?

Mike42

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Depends on age .Different companies have different rules

None will pay if your boat is damaged by an uninsured event.

Being thin or dangerous is not insurable.

None will pay if not maintained to reasonable standard which now seems to be 4 mm steel at least.

I’ll look for any low numbers chalked to the hull when it’s checked. Obviously, I don’t know if all surveyors saw that done on YouTube as well. Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes if you want fully comp and the boat is older than decreed by the insurer, often 20, 25, or 30 years old.

It’s been described as vintage so that’s understandable. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Mike42 said:

Insurance company are requesting the pre-purchase, out of the water, survey results before offering a quote. Is that normal? 

If it is not a high value boat and, should the worse happen, you can afford to lose it, then just insure it 3rd party for which no insurers require a survey.

49 minutes ago, john.k said:

The big risk is a massive cleanup bill from authorities

I think you will find that as that is damage to 3rd parties property it is covered on 3rd party insurance, as is (normally) wreck recovery.

But, it would be advisable to read (as in any contract) the 'small-print' to assure yourself that that 'cheap insurance' does meet your needs.