New to boating

Mickey17

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, MtB said:

I just checked mine!  50 year-old GRP cruiser, third party insurance includes
"Wreck removal costs up to £ 50,000 (if you are legally liable for these costs)"

Tom

Yep thanks, just checked my own TP insurance policies on two steel narrowboats, and they say much the same.

They also say the insured must take reasonable care to maintain the craft in good condition, but I suspect comprehensive policies say that too. 

Interesting choice of words- when do you become "Legally liable for these costs?"  It would seem that this liability may take a while to materialise whilst your boat in under water. 

It doesnt seem to stipulate how the "wreck" is removed either?

It appears different to comprehensive insurance where coverage doesn't have this stipulation? Ours seems to have this phrase "we will pay the reasonable cost of recovering the Vessel or its Boat(s) or outboard(s) or trailer(s) and the reasonable cost of effecting repairs, less the Excess." 

Our policy does indeed mention maintaining the craft in good condition too! 

We bought an old boat and had several excellent years out of it. When we decided to upgrade we put it on the market and the potential buyer had a survey done which found the hull was paper thin in places.

Get a survey done - the current owners shouldn't object, if they do then walk away quickly.

Make them an offer subject to survey, that way they wouldn't be in a moral position to raise the price if the survey is good, if they do decide to raise the price then they have the surveyor in their pocket as they have no right to see the survey unless you show it to them, after all the contract is between you and the surveyor.

2 hours ago, manxmike said:

We bought an old boat and had several excellent years out of it. When we decided to upgrade we put it on the market and the potential buyer had a survey done which found the hull was paper thin in places.

Get a survey done - the current owners shouldn't object, if they do then walk away quickly.

Make them an offer subject to survey, that way they wouldn't be in a moral position to raise the price if the survey is good, if they do decide to raise the price then they have the surveyor in their pocket as they have no right to see the survey unless you show it to them, after all the contract is between you and the surveyor.

Thanks they did say they know nothing about it’s history and would imagine the hull would need attention hence the price thanks 

11 hours ago, manxmike said:

Except they have priced the boat for a 'no survey' sale. 

You seem to regard getting a survey as trivial.

I have a boat for sale and the nearest yard capable of docking it is a two day+ cruise each way plus the cost of a Thames visitor license and (probably) a one month wait for a slot. I certainly don't have time to make that trip and won't be making it. Any buyer of my boat is going to have to take it there themselves and return it if the survey result is unacceptable to them. And fund the docking and survey costs themselves! In fact on reflection I would not allow them to make that trip so basically, my boat is for sale on a 'no survey' basis, and priced accordingly.

As I suspect, is the boat which is the subject of this thread.

7 hours ago, MtB said:

Except they have priced the boat for a 'no survey' sale. 

You seem to regard getting a survey as trivial.

1. Have they, it doesn't say that anywhere that I can see

2. Quite the opposite, I think getting a survey is essential

Where on earth did you read into my comment the above statements?

1 hour ago, manxmike said:

1. Have they, it doesn't say that anywhere that I can see

2. Quite the opposite, I think getting a survey is essential

Where on earth did you read into my comment the above statements?

1. Any one with the slightest knowledge would recognise a price for a narrowboat of £7.5k is a 'no survey' price

2. Your own post where you glibly tell the OP to "get a survey", as if it was easy and could be done in half an hour with no effort or expense.

I'm not surprised you have no boat.

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Any one with the slightest knowledge would recognise a price for a narrowboat of £7.5k is a 'no survey' price

I think it unlikely that anyone would expect a £7.5k boat to be worth spending £750-£1000 on a survey - accept that it will need £10k+ spending on it and that you'll end up spending more 'on it' than it'll ever be worth, but it will get you (hopefully) floating / boating, and the expenditure can be spread over the 1st 12 months.

And I'm not surprised you haven't sold your boat yet!

I fail to see why you think rudeness is in order. Personally I wouldn't buy a boat without a survey. The last boat I bought was a fibreglass item, it cost £3,000 and yes I did get a survey.

My previous boat was a Liverpool built steel hull and I had a survey on that before I bought it. I actually had a survey done on another boat and the survey showed it was in poor condition despite the surface appearance.

I wasn't suggesting "glibly" that a survey is half an hour of no effort or expense. I know just how much effort is involved and how much expense.

You obviously don't feel a survey is warranted, fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion - my opinion is that a survey would be worth the time, effort and expense.

Good luck selling your boat, I hope it doesn't sink under the new owner as they sail it away.