Getting Prescriptions

pearley

Featured Posts

As recent CCrs my wife and I need regular prescriptions but the rules seem to differ from one surgery to the next. Some doctors will give us a full 56 days as shown on the repeat prescription form whilst others will only give us 14 days. We are not worried about the costs as being over 60 we get free prescriptions. Sometimes we are asked if we are staying for long in the area. If we say we are just passing through we seem more likely to get the 14 days. Some doctors say they recover the costs from the NHS, others say it comes out of their own budgets.

Are there any GPs out there who know the definitive rules?

As recent CCrs my wife and I need regular prescriptions but the rules seem to differ from one surgery to the next. Some doctors will give us a full 56 days as shown on the repeat prescription form whilst others will only give us 14 days. We are not worried about the costs as being over 60 we get free prescriptions. Sometimes we are asked if we are staying for long in the area. If we say we are just passing through we seem more likely to get the 14 days. Some doctors say they recover the costs from the NHS, others say it comes out of their own budgets.

Are there any GPs out there who know the definitive rules?

Wen ya godownt cut ya can gerra doc sumwer and eel let ya givem aan adress ont side ot canal thas worr I do and tri n gerabowt 3 months supli it dpends wer ya go ya see necs time ya can maybi go temp till ya can get bac mebe ont bus

Hi Pearley

Have a 'chat' with the GP you are registered with, he will probably give you three months supply ( my brother in laws doctor doe this when he goes abroad for the winter [brother in law not GP])

If you are away for more than three months do you have some one that lives near your GP that could pick up your repeat prescription and get it to you.

Some doctors say they recover the costs from the NHS, others say it comes out of their own budgets.

The prescription cost is met from the budget of the local Primary Care Trust (PCT),

not the GPs own pocket.

However the PCT monitor the prescribing history of each local practice, on a

"stick and carrot" basis. This is designed to encourage use of generic drugs but

also means that some GPs with higher than average prescribing are reluctant to

fork out long term prescriptions to "passing" patients.

I am a Practice Manager and the question of prescription length and holiday comes up quite regularly as we have a population who like to go to South Africa for six months of the year. I have taken a lot of advice from the Medical Defense organisations about this issue.

You need to be registered with a GP on a permanent basis at an address. This could be a marina if you have a regsitered base-we have patients registered at caravan parks. The standard prescription length is usually 28 days although some GP's will give 56 if your medical condition is stable. If you are trully continuous cruising and do not have a mooring address, do you have a relative who's address you could use?

If you are on continuous medication you will require a review on a six monthly or annual basis and possibly blood or other tests depending on your condidtion. The doctor is personally responsible for any prescription they sign and three months is the maximum recommended length of time for a one off prescription and this usually only applies when people are going on an extended holiday. Longer than three months would be frowned upon by the GMC as the GP can not be monitoring the patient.

If you register at another practice as a temporary resident whilst on your travels this can be for either up to 15 days or up to 3 months depending upon how long you are staying in the area for. You will have to give the temporary address you are staying at-not likely to be possible I guess.

If I was you I would register somewhere that you can get back to and at a relatives address. Don't mention that you may be away for more than three months because strictly speaking the GP should take you off his list if you are nolonger in the practice area (if we don't know though we can't!)-it is considered to be fraud not to. You can then either get a relative to collect the prescription of leave a self address envelope for it to be posted. Check if your surgery does online ordering of prescripitions or electronic transfer to a local chemist both these solutions can make ait a bit easier.

Money has very little to do with it, the drugs cost the same whether you get 1 or 3 month prescription, (the chemists will get a lower fee for dispensing it though) it is more to do with the safety and monitoring of the patients condition.

Hope that helps.

Regards

A mate gets a repeat p`scrip by sending stamped address envelope. The address is the local post office or one soon to be ariving at. The address will read:

Mr............

Poste Resante

X post office

Wherever

XXL 1DL

This has worked for last 2 years of Cont. Cruising and is the way i also get my post sent on from my sons address which covers bank, driving licence etc