The South Oxford

George and Dragon

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yep basically that's it.  I does not really become economical until you have a week on the Thames.  If you can spare the time go up to Lechlade (a couple of days each day will do it), the nicest part of the river in my opinion.

But for that 50 quid you actually get 2 days if you go out first thing in the morning,

2 hours ago, Onionman said:

Thanks all - down and back at Isis lock it is. Shame.

Although I've not been on the Thames for a few years now and things might have changed, it might be worth taking a chance and doing the Thames loop anyway. River cruising is a totally different experience from canals and well worth trying. You may well not like it, I hate it myself! Agoraphobia. Canals are much nicer for the more 'human' scale of everything. 

Anyway back to the point. You buy your Thames Visitor license from a lock keeper and as the EA keep getting rid of them having made all the locks downstream of Oxford self service when the lockie is off duty, you might easily complete the loop and get back on the cut without encountering any lock keeper from whom to buy your license. Especially if you set off at, say 5pm for a nice quiet evening cruise.

What a nuisance that would be...