L and L locks 7-13

arthor

Featured Posts

A query about the restrictions on these locks. Sort of clarified it with CRT but the inclusion of the odd "should be" in the conversation made me feel checking was worthwhile.

I get that you can only get through between 8am and 3/4/5pm depending on the guide you read from March until October. CRT say that continues through the winter. If so, one wonders why March-October is mention at all.

I wondered if anyone knew what the definitive version of this was. We aim to go through and back during the first week in November.

Thanks in anticipation

Yes, the current C&RT stoppage notice  says  Newlay, Forge and Kirkstall Locks - Leeds & Liverpool - Summer opening hours 2021 From 12/04/2021 to 31/10/2021 Lock 13, Newlay Top Lock to Lock 7, Kirkstall Little Lock Through the 2021 summer season, Newlay, Forge & Kirkstall locks will be available for self-operation between the hours of 08:00 and 16:00 daily. However, there will be roving lock keepers between Leeds & Newlay to offer assistance through the locks if required. Please note that the locks will padlocked at 16:00 every evening. As from 01 October 2021, the last entry through these locks will be 15:00, due to reduced daylight hours.

C&RT  have a long history of worrying about those who live locally at these locks, an have, forever, imposed restrictions. The towingpath into Leeds has been much improved, is now well used and during the day there are lots of people about. I suppose the ex-container/logkkeeper-hut at Forge epitomises the problem: if BW/C&RT don't really care for the locks and are fearful of stones being thrown at them, then they become a target and stones do occasionally get thrown. If passsing boaters refill the swimming pool after using it for their boat, then it all seems to work well. Sadly many meetings and much talking have failed to improve the situation, and we still have these permanent opening restictions and lots of our money spent on people-and-padlocks. _sigh_ Other than the padlocks, they are self-operated locks, and Forge has sprouted a new blue sign, telling boaters how to do it.

On 13/08/2020 at 19:09, PeterScott said:

[13 Aug2020]P8132841s.jpg.b0602645da1f8a9f517f87c9af04b308.jpg

Forge Locks and swimming pool  Kirstall L&L

On 28/08/2021 at 17:43, PeterScott said:

This afternoon 2021

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Forge Locks L&L

and CRT's lockkeepers' hut

spacer.png

I remember years ago when the locks were manned full time, the keeper at Newlay used to say in the morning, paradise, in the afternoon, Beirut... 

There was an incident quite some time ago when apparently the lockies were pinned down in their hut by kids from the council estate with an air rifle.   This has left a long standing legacy, but we've been through this stretch many times and never had any real trouble.  

The only incident was when we got our timing wrong one day and hit the staircase after school.  There was a gang of kids swimming in the locks, despite three BT lock keepers in attendance, but we got to the top ok.  Then one of the lads wrapped our centre line around the bollard as the boat was coming up and it started to heel over - I honestly think he was trying to help - but my wife screamed at him and the entire gang immediately lined up on the lockside just as if they were waiting outside the headmaster's door expecting to get caned.  I actually felt sorry for them.   But if my wife shouts at you then believe me, you do as you're told...

• Greenie 1

thank you for your replies.

It just seems odd for CRT to quote Summer times but not Winter. It leaves on pondering if there are no restrictions in the Winter at all or if the L and L is effectively two long cul de sacs between Oct and March. If anyone has been through in November recently, that would give an answer. My brother is coming up 1st week in Nov to hire from WR Boats in Leeds with the intention of us convoying with them out towards Skipton.

Furthermore, that blue sign in the reply from Peter suggests that it is possible to remove the anti vandal padlocks. Watermate key or handcuff key, do you think?

I suspect the distinction between summer and winter is possibly because there are no lock keepers around in the winter, even though the opening hours are the same.

The anti vandal locks are different to the padlocks/chains that are applied when they lock up for the day.

We've come up from Leeds in the past couple of days. There was a grumpy CRT bod at Forge 3 who satisfied himself that one of the two boats going up wasn't a rank beginner hire boater and then disappeared into his bunker. Meanwhile at Newlay 3 there were four jolly vollies, having a great time; none of who seemed to be aware of the possibility that a 60' boat would need to tuck in behind the opposite gate to get the gates closed. At Dobson 2 there's a sign on the top gate beams instructing you not to fill the top lock whilst a boat is descending the bottom lock as the gates leak so much that it would put the boat in "serious danger". The sign doesn't say what an ascending boat which has no choice but to be in the empty bottom lock with the top lock full it expected to do. The answer we came up with is to get very, very wet and somewhat stressed. The boat coming up before us reportedly suffered a flooded bedroom.

Dobson's 2 is not in the set locked overnight. Yesterday evening it was filled for swimming by the local youfa who brought their own windlass.

To Bingley tomorrow!

MP.

8 minutes ago, arthor said:

Again, many thanks for all your replies. What a great bunch of people on here. Good luck with all your boating.

Good luck too if you're heading West from Leeds... 

Only joking.

I've never understood what the problem is with the section between Leeds and Rodley, there are certain sections of the Leeds Liverpool on the Lancashire side that I approach with much more trepidation.  

If you are travelling in convoy you'll make light work of the interminable swing bridges between Leeds and Skipton, they are the biggest disincentive in doing that bit of canal.

• Greenie 1