Can anyone at Debdale help out please?

PeterCr

Featured Posts

Hi all. So we have a nice 57 foot semi trad. Normally we spend about 6 months on our boat each summer and have done for a few years. After our summer trip we leave the boat on hardstanding waiting for the following summer.

Currently however our boat has been sitting on hardstanding at Debdale for 2 years. That's because we live in Australia (my wife is from the UK, me Aus). Because of the virus we are banned from leaving the country so we cannot travel to the UK to get on our boat each summer. I am not even confident that that we will be able to get there next year.

I am getting more and more concerned about the condition our boat might be in as time goes on. I am quite careful, when on board, to find and treat even the smallest pinprick of rust with Fertan and then colour matched touch up paint. As you all know a small rust patch can quickly become a big rust patch. After 2 years there might be some problems that need attention.

I am wondering if there is anyone there that might have some spare time to take a look at our boat to see whether there are issues that need attention, or even be able to take some time to do some treatment. I'd dearly love to do it myself but I just can't. I'm very concerned that when we finally can get there I'll be seeing some serious deterioration evident. I'm happy to pay for any time spent.

If there is anyone with a little spare time on their hands and are happy to help please message me and we can have a chat about it.

Many thanks
Peter

Thanks Guys, yes I have on occasion asked the staff at Debdale to help out and they have when asked taken a quick look, particularly at the Tonneau Cover on the boat which I thought might have some problems over time.

However I think they're pretty busy and trying to do some upkeep on individual boats up on hardstanding is a bit beyond their job description really. They have helped a little but not really enough to overcome the worry that the boat is deteriorating given how long it's been sitting there, and will continue to sit there. Hopefully it's not too bad but someone else casting an eye over it would be lovely. 

I’m not a tradesperson of any kind but have owned narrowboats and lived on them, so know my way around them. I’d be more than willing to nip up to Debdale and cast a nosy eye over your boat, plus take pictures if you required to set your mind at rest. Am retired, so lots of time available, just have a think and let me know.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Many thanks Mike, it looks like I've got it sorted now, someone to come over and take a look for me. It's a real worry having our nice boat sitting there for years, not knowing if it's deteriorating slowly or not, so having someone to take a look is wonderful. Thanks for the offer Mike, looks like it's all good now. Cheers
Peter