diesel heaters

colin1325

Featured Posts

does no one run a solid fuel and diesel heater? in conjuntion with each other

I'm doing that at the mo, but I'm having trouble with the webasto, and am thinking of going to solid fuel with a back boiler.

The diesel c/h is ok when you just need a little background heat, but it's nowhere near hot enough on its own. Plus, expensive to service and repair.

The diesel c/h is ok when you just need a little background heat, but it's nowhere near hot enough on its own

This is not aimed at anyone in particular just using the above for the sake of argument discussion.

My thoughts, boiler to small, radiating surfaces to small, those two are directly proportional or is that inversely proportional, insulation below standard.

i was thinking maybe i should get a zebco filter special drip conflaberation and then just get a solid fuel effrodite with a manual thilidolite function inbuilt of coarse, slighly differing from my origional thoughts about gettin a astromonomobite, backed up with the modern lindow heater spool drip. i think that actually sums it up . i think i shall have to download the latest manual found on the wwp, website www.iaintgotacluewhatuchapsronabout.co.uk

We have a Dickinson stove its ace in the cooler months, warms the boat, cooks the dinner and heats the water runs on red diesel. Only draw back its flipping hot in summer and its a tad ugly.

We have got used to it now and I actually find it very easy to use, simple, and apart from cleaning its burner pot now and then, service free.

I am sure it wont be to everyones taste however. (It makes fab bread though).

Jacqui

i was thinking maybe i should get a zebco filter special drip conflaberation and then just get a solid fuel effrodite with a manual thilidolite function inbuilt of coarse, slighly differing from my origional thoughts about gettin a astromonomobite, backed up with the modern lindow heater spool drip. i think that actually sums it up . i think i shall have to download the latest manual found on the wwp, website www.iaintgotacluewhatuchapsronabout.co.uk

Why dont you try an Aga? Much simpler than thinking!

..........The diesel c/h is ok when you just need a little background heat, but it's nowhere near hot enough on its own. Plus, expensive to service and repair.

As a comparison, I have a Webasto 5KW heater on a 50ft NB which heats one rad in the bedroom, one rad in the living room and a towel rail in the bathroom plus the 60 L calorifier and it gets the boat toasty warm even on a cold day. We also have a coal/wood stove if we need to get up to smelting glass temperatures :lol:

Chris

Hi Jactomtroub.

We've had a Dickinson in the new toy. Do they ever actually run clean ? Also, door thermometer on ours is way out -- common thing ? I ask, as the Bubble stove we have, once it's run for about quarter of an hour, burns clean and blue, predominantly. Don't think the Dickinson is quite as good as the Epping for bread, although it's a more useful size oven, of course.

Mike.

With the price of diesel as it is and likely to go up, I would go for a solid fuel stove.

snip

Julian

Which is exactly why we now have woodsmoke coming out of the rayburn chimney now rather than diesel fumes.

Nine years ago, i converted the rayburn to diesel for convienience since we were both out 12 hours a day working, and we were only paying 26ppl - straight off the lorry in Wiltshire. The conversion cost was not significantly more than the new fire bricks and riddling wheel we needed.

We have been using 250litres a month for 6-8 months of the year, and had a perma-warm boat, for about the same cost as coal.

Now that diesel is 50ppl, and we are in Hertfordshire, and i have to take a day off work to take the delivery, I can no longer justify the cost of running diesel.

We are now using two bags of coal a week (1.5 if we have wood available), and it gets delivered even if we arn't in.

The £15-20 a week we're saving will soon pay for the new fire bricks and riddling wheel!

And the Rayburn can consume an 8" long 5" diameter well seasoned cherry log if there is a bed of glowing coals. :lol:

Simon.

Mike

The Dickinson burns fairly clean. We don't have much bother with it at all. We did clean out the fuel well last year which improved the burning no end and we vac it out with a little 12v car vac once a week or so. The oven temp gauge has no relationship to the oven temp that I can see!

Jac