BMC Diesel dribble

Featured Posts

With a new pipe and assuming it is properly lined up with the "stub" I can only think:

The "olive" has not been properly formed on the pipe.

The forming has split the pipe.

The taper in the stub pipe has split

For some reason, the nut is bottoming on the thread before the olive is tight on the stub.

I suspect the pipe and stub are not properly lined up, so he has used the nut to pull the parts together. He needs to be sure the soft (Dowty) washers on the banjo bolt that seal the stub to the pump body are in good order.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am intrigued by the wire connected to the body bolt, assuming its a ground connection?

That doesn't look like a new pipe.

I agree, it's not, it's got metallic blue paint on it like the engine. I wonder if he has had the nipple formed onto the end of the old pipe, and if so I doubt it was bent to properly align and sit in the adaptor stub. I think it needs someone who knows what they are looking for to take the pipe off, inspect it and then bend & refit it.

If it's a second hand pipe from lord knows where, the "nipple" may well be squashed so it will never seal.

Edited by Tony Brooks

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have passed on your comments, he has nipped it up a bit more and things have improved but he plans to get the banjo pipe before applying a bit more pressure , just in case

If he is that concerned, he may be well advised to get a new banjo bolt because there is no way to easily hold the stub adaptor so he might twist the banjo  bolt over and snap it.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

If he is that concerned, he may be well advised to get a new banjo bolt because there is no way to easily hold the stub adaptor so he might twist the banjo  bolt over and snap it.

I will pass it on Ta.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As Tracy noticed that it is not a new pipe, please also tell him to really examine the "olives" on the ends to make sure they have not been flattened into a sort of flying saucer shape with a sharp edged disk of meta around the middle.

It transpired the end has been remade locally

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It transpired the end has been remade locally

As I suspected when Tracy pointed out, it was not a new pipe. If it is not bent to be an all but a perfect fit into the injector and pump stub with the nuts pushed back up the pipe, he risks premature failure caused by tension pulling it into position and the pressure pulses from injections.