BW Car parks

Mr Jinks

Featured Posts

Hi, We have a narrow boat on the Kennett and Avon in the marina at Devizes. last weekend we noticed that the car park at All Cannings had become a pay and display £8 a day !! (in coins), by Saturday the machine had been vandalised, and strangley only half the parking area is pay and display and half is free!!, who is going to pay? Now I have found out that all the BW car parks along the canal here are going to be pay and display, what are your views? Wendy Mr Jinks

I can see why they would do this. I don't imagine it's just boat owners who use these car parks, so it may discourage those who use it for walking the dog etc.

However, I do think boaters pay enough with their license fee and mooring fees, so they should be given a permit to park there for free as part of their license conditions, and leave it pay and display for others so that they make some revenue from it from others who might want to visit the canals. There are plenty of other free car parks and layby's people use when they come to use the towpath for walking the dog, jogging, cycling, fishing etc, so I don't see why it should be a huge deal as long as they allow boaters free.

I think "Pay and display" is the most unfair system ever devised, the penalty for any time late are huge therefore you have to pay for much longer than you know you will need.

I have no problem with "Pay for what you use" in other words get a ticket when you enter and pay for what time you use as you leave, and presumably the money goes to improve the amenities not just to pay the wardens of the car park.

There are plenty of lay byes up here near the canal, if they bring it in here I simply wont visit the pay and display places, I avoid towns that charge to park, ie Preston, but will visit Lancaster, Chorley, and Leyland where there is free parking to be had, in Lancaster all day if you know where to look.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

Our local boat Club raised a complaint with BW over the excessive charges for their Car parks, and have been informed that Licenced Boat owners can apply for a free permit. Whether this only covers the canal on which you are registered or the whole system is yet to be established.

Our local boat Club raised a complaint with BW over the excessive charges for their Car parks, and have been informed that Licenced Boat owners can apply for a free permit. Whether this only covers the canal on which you are registered or the whole system is yet to be established.

Or is that boaters with an adjacent mooring? I couldn't agree more that BW license payers should be exempt of BW Pay & Display car park charges. Otherwise they are stinging us boaters once again.

There are plenty of lay byes up here near the canal, if they bring it in here I simply wont visit the pay and display places.

Ditto, just stash it on the road next to the stupid things.

- Im not agasint a bit of a pay and display action in towns, store carparks, even busy countryside attractions.

- But £6 a day is bloody cheak if you ask me, fiar play if its to discorage non-boaters, but yeah, Mehh!!!!

If im boating the weekend i usally get there in the evening of the friday, and so that would be £18 stright up, ontop of fuel, food, firing the boat.

Daniel