Sealing Chimney collar to roof

Featured Posts

We have a slight leak between the chimney collar and the roof. Because we will be painting the boat later in the year we want to remove the collar, clean, paint and refit. What is the best sealant to use. In the distant past we used to use plumbers mait and this time we were thinking of using butyl tape as we have some from re-sealing the porthole's. But is it the correct stuff to use and is it over paintable. Hoping you can advise

So how long did the plumbers mait last and is there any reason not to use it again? It appears to seal well, lasts many years, and comes off when required?

...............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

So how long did the plumbers mait last and is there any reason not to use it again? It appears to seal well, lasts many years, and comes off when required?

...............Dave

Plumbers mait lasted a quite a while but that would mean buying some where as the butyl tape i already have.

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Plumbers mait lasted a quite a while but that would mean buying some where as the butyl tape i already have.

I understand that sort of logic.

I used butyl stuff on some portholes and when I needed to take them off again it was a right messy pain and  took some of the paint off too, it is very sticky. Plumbers mait comes off relatively easily, I am surprised that its not used more.

Plumbers mait is perhaps a bit on the soft side, whilst butyl is maybe a little too hard.

If you think that you might be getting the collar off again then buy the plumbers mait, if you only intend to keep the boat for a year or two then use the butyl, it will be somebody else's problem ?

..............Dave

9 hours ago, dmr said:

I understand that sort of logic.

I used butyl stuff on some portholes and when I needed to take them off again it was a right messy pain and  took some of the paint off too, it is very sticky. Plumbers mait comes off relatively easily, I am surprised that its not used more.

Plumbers mait is perhaps a bit on the soft side, whilst butyl is maybe a little too hard.

If you think that you might be getting the collar off again then buy the plumbers mait, if you only intend to keep the boat for a year or two then use the butyl, it will be somebody else's problem ?

..............Dave

That is interesting because I thought plumbers mait was/is Butyl. Thanks for the warning about getting the butyl off around the portholes as I will be doing them as well and using neoprene sheet as previously discussed with you. 

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Sorry I didn't read the bit about wanting to get the collar off again soon. Don't use silicone or Stixall in that case

Didnt say that I would be removing it again unless it leaked. I think Dmr was just adding that bit about removing