Broadbeams in tunnels

WJM

Featured Posts

I do know that if you have the nerve you can pass an on coming narrowboat in a Regents Canal bridge hole without touching the sides or each other.

As you can in the GU bridge holes all the way up to Braunston (don't try it north/west of Braunston though). I've done it 3 times now:

The first time, trip boat Arcturus and I approached Lady Capel's bridge on a very windy day. Simultaneously we both realised that if either of us slowed or stopped, we could be pinned to the towpath by the wind for some time. Arcturus waved me to come on and simultaneously opened the throttle, so I did the same and we passed in the bridge-hole. Brave of him, with a load of passengers on board and no idea who I was!

The second time I recognised the boat coming the other way and he recognised me, and as we were both lined up perfectly, we just carried on without changing speed or course - and shook hands as we passed.

The third time was just sheer bloody-mindedness on both sides when I met another boat near Rickmansworth. I still maintain it was MY bridge-hole, no doubt he still maintains it was his.

Allan

Not just tunnels:

The Rochdale Canal.. For a passage through the motorway crossing between locks 55 and 56, the 'Floating towpath' bellow the motorway must be moved by BW.. It was envisaged originally that this could be done by boaters but it has been found that the local kids enjoy taking it on a voyage so it is locked in place more securely these days.

When booking your passage make sure you make it clear if your boat is greater than 7ft beam and mention the above towpath, they have been known to forget.

Not just tunnels:

The Rochdale Canal.. For a passage through the motorway crossing between locks 55 and 56, the 'Floating towpath' bellow the motorway must be moved by BW.. It was envisaged originally that this could be done by boaters but it has been found that the local kids enjoy taking it on a voyage so it is locked in place more securely these days.

When booking your passage make sure you make it clear if your boat is greater than 7ft beam and mention the above towpath, they have been known to forget.

I thought that I had read that the floating footpath had been removed because of Vandalism.

Tim

I tell you what did scare the crap out of me the other week.

- Maclesfield canal, bridge hole, middle of a canoe (well kayac actaully) race.

About sixe or eight had passed us as we approched, and we had actaully slowed little to let them, then there was a break in them, so we went for it, speeding up a little as we went.

At about 10ft from the bridge hole two more chaps came round the corner and into site. Pauseing breifly beside the boat and the twopath a bit before it got narrow for the bridge, one moving to the side.

- Then out of the blue, with about 4ft left to go, the other guy bloody went for it!!

- Litterally i was shaking for the next 5minutes, he was *that* close to us and the bridge.

I mean, from his hips passing the pinch point, chasing him right the way to the tail of the canoe, the gap was no more than 3inchs each side.

Simply put, if he had been 2seconds (or maybe even a second) behind when he was, or had been held up for the time on a underwater branch or whatever, he would have been dead. Absolutly no questions asked.

About a quarter mile down we passed the turning point for the slower boats, and hailed to the umpire how close his people where.

- He's response was that "they all know what there doing, and there nothing we can do"

- However he did ask for his race number, although we where unfotualty un able to recal it.

- My mums response simply being, we weigh 22tonnes, and if he got it wrong, he would have died.

Serously tho, i would be very supprised if the guy in question honestly knew enough about the situation to actually be able to call that decision about going, or climbing out and run round, that closely.

(sorry its a bit of topic, but bloody hell, i was thinking about that for the next hour, and i wasnt idle)

Daniel

I thought that I had read that the floating footpath had been removed because of Vandalism.

Tim

We've been told it is now back in place, but haven't actually seen it.. It is one of those legal things BW are obliged to keep the towpath open to walkers and it is hell of a diversion otherwise.

"Who needs to portage at limehouse when there's a flight of steps onto the river nearby"

This could be the very answer I am looking for - where are these steps? (steps are very useful when portaging!)

I could only see a ladder last time I came through.

there is a ramp/steps between buildings to the west in Narrow st, there are also steps to the east towards canary wharf, both will involve a walk along the pavement, though the most accessible traffic free route would be to disembark at the bottom of Commercial Road lock (considering the high walls at the basin) go through the Limehouse estate(past the acclumator tower) cross the Limehouse cut, through Ropemakers Fields then straight across Narrow St onto the Thames path and then in a short distance is the steps down to a beach. There's another beach near the old Limehouse cut lock entrance, but I'm not sure there's actually any access here.

On a very high tide you'd not need to use any steps since the situation is then that river and basin make a level or sometimes the river can be even higher than the basin. The only issue is the strong currents at the entrance

The last person I know who phoned BW to try and book a passage through Blisworth was just told "Go through very early in the morning, you probably won't meet anyone". So BW have simply adopted Carl's philosophy - and it seems to work OK.

I knew someone who was given this same advice. He took it and hoped someone else hadn't been given the same idea!

He was working a brand new dutch barge from Warwick to the Thames. - He swore he would never do it again!

Tony

I knew someone who was given this same advice. He took it and hoped someone else hadn't been given the same idea!

He was working a brand new dutch barge from Warwick to the Thames. - He swore he would never do it again!

Tony

How early is early?

We prefer to go through early:

no diesel fumes so i can see the chicanes,

no-one coming the other way, so the butty dosn't get stuck to one of the walls :D .

We still met a boat this summer, and the butty was stuck to the wrong wall - that surprised them ;) fortunately i'd slowed down alot trying to unstick her, and they appeared 'a little nervouse' and had virtually stopped so no contact was made :D .

BW should know better.

I suppose thats why they put the distance markers in, so you know who has the shorter reverse!!!

Simon.

As you can in the GU bridge holes all the way up to Braunston (don't try it north/west of Braunston though).

Just to reinforce the bit about the GU between Napton and Birmingham, we have met at bridgeholes:

A hotel pair breasted up stuck in the bridgehole at Stockton

A broadbeam just released from being stuck in the bridgehole north of Shrewley tunnel

Two boats that tried to pass in the bridgehole just south of Kingswood junction.

I was particularly annoyed about the last one. A private boat entered the bridge while a hire boat was coming through the other way. Our boat was being used by some friends who came across the two boats firmly wedged in the hole. Our friends proceeded to use our boat as a hammer to drive one of the boats back out of the hole. I was annoyed because they didn't call me first. Fancy letting me miss out on all of the fun!

Richard