Water tank re-paint time!

sue.stew

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, WillCful said:

Thanks @blackrose that’s great info. I’ve got the confidence to crack on and get my tank done now. Gas lockers next! I found the wee drill attachments invaluable for getting into the corners when I was doing the bilge.

Make sure you're wearing good eye protection when using the wire wheels. Those wire bristles hurt when they hit you in the face but they won't damage anything unless they hit you in the eye! 

After your tank prep is finished vacuum out the tank and then give the prepped steel a good spirit wipe with the thinners specified for the epoxy. It just gets the last bit of dust off and removes any small amounts of grease. I got a bit high off the thinners when I did this in my tank so don't spend too long in there! 

Download the technical data sheet for your paint and follow the mixing instructions. Generally you mix the larger part A (paint/resin) well before adding part B (hardener) and then mix the two by the specified ratios/volumes thoroughly. You can use a measuring jug with water to mark out the correct volumes in your mixing containers beforehand. I use large washed out yoghurt pots or those chilled soup pots. It can get quite messy so try to work clean. You'll need vinyl gloves.

Also pay attention to the minimum & maximum overcoating times. 

Good luck

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, WillCful said:

Will do ? 

Will you just paint over the existing coating or go back to bare steel again? 

If the existing epoxy is ok I'll just give it a good key with a medium grit paper and recoat. If it's starting to peel or lift off then I'll be a bit more aggressive. Once you epoxy you shouldn't need to go back to bare metal again apart from a few patches. I'm basing what I say on my hull sides which I epoxied 6 years ago but of course I don't think the water potable solvent-free stuff is quite as tough, so we shall see...

Edited by blackrose

18 hours ago, WillCful said:

Thanks again.

Now I’ve just got to decide between blue or cream ?

When it comes to drinking the contents of things, I thought the rule was cream in moderation and never Blue - or does that only apply to fridges and toilets? ;)

Edited by Sea Dog
I had 2 creams, so I deleted one rather than go for double cream.