Clamping Weed hatch

John Lewis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, John Lewis said:

could I not drill maybe four holes for bolts with locking nuts and washers?

My current weed hatch is of that design, with ten bolts and ten nuts to remove to gain access. Naturally the old wingnuts and bolts had rusted, damaged heads, etc, and took over an hour to remove the first time. I've now replaced them all with shiny new bolt, nuts and spring washers, but I still wouldn't fancy doing it in a hurry in extremis!

• Unimpressed 1

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I got the local welding blokes to knock mine up for me. There are reports most years of boats sinking because of badly fixed weed hatches, I was lucky, mine sank for completely different reasons.

You were lucky your boat sank ? 

Was it an insurance job ???

I don't think there is anything funny in any boat sinking but it was just the way it read....

Edited by jonathanA
Clarity

1 hour ago, John Lewis said:

I wasn't sure on the regs so was checking on here regards that - but could I not drill maybe four holes for bolts with locking nuts and washers? Does it have to be in that threaded bar style design as Tony shows?

I had a weedhatch with a bolted down lid once. Thin lid, so that all 16 nuts and bolts had to be tightened down to stop it leaking. and all 16 nuts and bolts had to be undone everytime you wanted to look at the prop. Never again!!