12mm lining

Featured Posts

The extra weight of 12mm ply above gunnel might make the boat roll more, but that is only a guess. Our previous boat was 12mm below the gunnels, which I believe is quite common.

The extra weight of 12mm ply above gunnel might make the boat roll more, but that is only a guess. Our previous boat was 12mm below the gunnels, which I believe is quite common.

we have a wide beam at 68x11 maybe rollnot so much of an issue...hmmmmm

maybe 12mm for under the gunnel 9mm above and 4mm for celin. and maybe 12mm for bulk head or your partions. just for stabillity if you have 12mm and lots of it then why not all round. but the celin is a no no with 12mm no flexabilty. not un less you whant a flat celin its not the lenth its the thinckness on this one :lol:

we have a wide beam at 68x11 maybe rollnot so much of an issue...hmmmmm

Sorry didnt realise it was Wide beam. Can't see any problem at all. It will be heavier to lift into place, which would be a problem for me, but not for most people. The difference in weight is quite noticable.

Sorry didnt realise it was Wide beam. Can't see any problem at all. It will be heavier to lift into place, which would be a problem for me, but not for most people. The difference in weight is quite noticable.

No obvious reason at all. Boat builders will use 9mm as its about the minimum you should use to get the stability required, especially for adding fittings such as window frames. The other reason would be cost as 9mm is cheaper by the sheet than 12mm. The benefit of 12mm is that should you require to add light weight shelves etc then you have abit more wood to screw into. One point to bear in mind, I should leave a smal expansion gap at the edges of the boards.

best of luck

Paul

One point to bear in mind, I should leave a smal expansion gap at the edges of the boards.

....................... for example by leaving a gap and then using a vertical strip of ply or hardwood over the joint as a covering board.

....................... for example by leaving a gap and then using a vertical strip of ply or hardwood over the joint as a covering board.

A builder I saw was using pound coins on edge as a spacing device.