Fan belt broke AND 10 amp fuse blown on generator

jenevers

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Is this your model?..https://www.mastervoltgeneratorsupport.com/shops/mastervoltgeneratorsupport/cms/0181w68-parts-en.pdf

No FAN belt?..Water pump belt and alternator belt is all I can see.Is it one of those 2 that broke?.

It's an age thing from when we drove cars that had mechanical radiator cooling fans. Now they all have electric fans we still call them fan belts.

2 hours ago, pearley said:

It's an age thing from when we drove cars that had mechanical radiator cooling fans. Now they all have electric fans we still call them fan belts.

Correct?

4 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Is this your model?..https://www.mastervoltgeneratorsupport.com/shops/mastervoltgeneratorsupport/cms/0181w68-parts-en.pdf

No FAN belt?..Water pump belt and alternator belt is all I can see.Is it one of those 2 that broke?.

There’s only one belt but you’re right it’s a water pump/alternator belt not a fan belt. Actually Mastervolt manual calls it a “V-belt”?

Edited by jenevers

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

If Mastervolt parts prices are anything like Onan then if you can identify the size go to your local motor factors, not Halfords, or someone like Fenners.

I’ve already replaced the V-belt. What I wanted to know is why the 10 amp fused.

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

I’ve already replaced the V-belt. What I wanted to know is why the 10 amp fused.

How old is it?

Fuses "age" and then blow without being overloaded. How long it takes depends on the type of fuse, loading and the number of thermal cycles it has gone through.

When I worked in the critical power industry fuses were routinely changed every 5 years to prevent unwanted power outages. 

Obviously the above only applies when you have eliminated the possibility of a fault rupturing the fuse.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a space masquerading as a letter.

17 hours ago, cuthound said:

How old is it?

Fuses "age" and then blow without being overloaded. How long it takes depends on the type of fuse, loading and the number of thermal cycles it has gone through.

When I worked in the critical power industry fuses were routinely changed every 5 years to prevent unwanted power outages. 

Obviously the above only applies when you have eliminated the possibility of a fault rupturing the fuse.

Good point. The fuse is probably a few years old. I’ve replaced it and will do every couple of years from now on. Obviously when the belt breaks, the temperature sensor switches the genny off but it looks like the fuse blew first!

Edited by jenevers