Etiquette on the cut

Jo and Paul

Featured Posts

We are going on our second boating holiday on Saturday, the first being earlier this year when we had that cold week so we hardly saw another boat.

We are hiring from a place on the LLangolan and planning to go to pontywotsit and then play it by ear. The Inlaws did this trip a couple of years ago and came back with stories of impatient and inconsiderate boaters (not all of them btw)

With the possibility of a busy week, what I/we are wondering is,

1) How do you que for a lock - do you moor up, sit in the middle of the cut trying to hold station, take a ticket from one of those machines and wait for your number to be called???

2) If you are coming up to a lock, how do you know if the dozen or so boats that are moored are waiting for the lock or having lunch???

3) Do poeple ever "push in" the lock que???

4) I know I wouldnt want to pass a boat as I'm never in a hurry (canals seem so different to the roads) but do some people try, or want to 'overtake' you? is it prudent to pull over for them, even if you are following a boat??

5) Is there such a thing as canal rage????

6) Is the missus making us worry unnecessarily, should we just take it as it comes and if I want to know anything just ask my fellow boaters whilst cruising

Thanks for all you help and your sarcasm that I'm sure is heading my way :)

As of yet i haven't been in the situation where there's cue (or que?) for locks, the old pontwhosit face aquaduct swing bridges etc but if ever i came across one i would moor up put the kettle on and go have a chat with the others moored up. It all depends. If you are hiring most owners will let you through as you need to be someone where and they don't if you catch my drift. I use the general idea that if in doubt moor up! Someone infront f you has more experience and will add things go by quickly (canal quickly that is)

As for overtaking only had it once disabled person day hire boat. I just moored up made a drink fed the ducks, whats the rush?

to be honest i would like to know as well am i doin' the right thing?

As of yet i haven't been in the situation where there's cue (or que?) for locks, the old pontwhosit face aquaduct swing bridges etc but if ever i came across one i would moor up put the kettle on and go have a chat with the others moored up. It all depends. If you are hiring most owners will let you through as you need to be someone where and they don't if you catch my drift. I use the general idea that if in doubt moor up! Someone infront f you has more experience and will add things go by quickly (canal quickly that is)

As for overtaking only had it once disabled person day hire boat. I just moored up made a drink fed the ducks, whats the rush?

to be honest i would like to know as well am i doin' the right thing?

Jo and Paul ,

I am inexperienced on the cut ( and not much better on the computer as you can see by my two replies ! )...

cant help you with the locks...but as for the overtaking I believe its correct to slow down , ease over to the right a touch , wave the other boat through ...to pass you on your left.

If this is incorrect I will not be held responsible for any " Canal Rage " that you suffer from the other party !

I have no doubt that canal rage must rear its head....every other kind of activity in society seems to suffer from some sort of rage .

No doubt other more experienced forum members will keep you right.

Hope you have a good time...keep us posted , as all tips will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Drifter.

For the overtaking I believe its correct to slow down , ease over to the right a touch , wave the other boat through ...to pass you on your left.

Yeah, thats what we do.

- and somtimes we even manage not to run aground!!

When waiting your turn at the lock it used to be the done thing that one person stays with the boat whilst the rest of the crew walk up and help with the locking, it often happened that there were a dozen people locking a boat through, very sociable. Sadly that rarely happens anymore, they all just stay with the boat and wait for someone to open the gate for them. But I try to do it the old way.

Very rarely you find someone who tries to jump the queue, it is usually not the hire boats (though for some reason they have the bad reputation). I remember one pompous oaf with a very posh restored working boat, he had the idea that they had some sort of right of way. Take it from me, they don't.

You do come across some very annoying situations, I remember taking pity on a middle aged couple struggling with a lock in the rain, I helped with the paddles and gates and as the boat came up to the top I realised there were two or three strapping teenagers lounging around inside.

Overtaking is more difficult than may be imagined, there are a lot of weird effects, in practise the boat being overtaken needs to virtually stop and the overtaking boat pass by at a low speed

Is it not the same on canals as on rivers and the sea? It being the responsibility of the overtaking boat to keep clear and not force the one being overtaken to deviate from course lest they should ground etc. The one overtaking should take all the risks. They are obviously adventurous people to want to travel at such high speeds. Have they not been warned that people can not travel faster than 4 mph and live? :)

Geoff

When waiting your turn at the lock it used to be the done thing that one person stays with the boat whilst the rest of the crew walk up and help with the locking, it often happened that there were a dozen people locking a boat through, very sociable. Sadly that rarely happens anymore, they all just stay with the boat and wait for someone to open the gate for them.  But I try to do it the old way.

The missus (OCM is it?) read somewhere that you should always ask before helping with a lock, not just go ahead and do it???

On our first outing she automatically helped a following boat as we had to wait for the tunnel entry time (preston brook I think it was). The couple seemed appreciative and not put out so I think I'll continue to use common sense and be friendly and shouldnt go too far wrong. btw, that boat too had a teenager lazing, lazying lazeing (??? maffi :) ) inside too :D

I know most people you meet are fine and always willing to help and to accept help, its how to handle the oddballs I guess I'm worried about, well not really. I am fairly laid back so it takes alot to get on me goat so to speak, but if somebody does manage to push me that far, I do snap. Will let you all know how I get on when we get back on the 2nd

Some people do get a bit uptight about etiquette - rather than etiquette i'd think safety first -it's great to muck in with otherboats- the camaraderie is oneof te things that is great about the cut. Just make sure you communicate - we were once nearly sunk by another boat in a lock - we were going down and they had tied the bowline and walked away - i was at the helm and could see what was happening as the water level dropped - in fisherwoman tones i was screaming at everyone to drop the paddles (no, drop the ******* paddles!).................all ended well - but it could have been nasty.

havea great holiday :)

Yeah, if your helping somone else, it worth asking first.

- for two reasons, firstly, if they said you can help, and it goes wrong, they can blame you so easyly. secondly there maybe a problem that you not aware of.

- But certainly, anyone who wants to help us lock though is welcome (assuming the can tare there head out of the engine roof hatch!!)

Daniel

Speaking as a single handed boater at times - I would always rather people ask as sometimes you have an excellent system going and someone diving in to help can completely throw you! This is a good topic and it would be good to see it widened to all aspects of etiquette - there are probably many things I do which are now deemed bad etiquette and I've been boating since 1979! fads come and go and it would be good to share what is and is not considered acceptable.

Andy.

So you are nervous about someone who opens a gate or paddle for you, but you are quite happy to leave your boat;

In gear, engine running, alone, in the bottom of the lock.

The world has gone mad!

It is probably this attitude of "don't you dare touch my new expensive boat" that has given rise to this current attitude of "go away I want to be alone".

I would have thought that if you are single handed you might appreciate a hand at the locks, I am beginning to have sympathy for those that choose to sit on their boat and wait until you have finished.

Edited by John Orentas

John,

I don't recall saying I was nervous about anyone opening a gate for me simply appreciated being asked if I have a system going so that I can adjust to fit their help in! I guess it's the same courtesy that was mentioned in a previous post about taking photographs of peoples boats.

As to the somewhat sarcastic nature of the final comment regarding 'don't touch my expensive brand new boat' I agree - the world has gone mad and if you could see the amount of innevitable knocks and scratches on my boat......

I'm not an experienced boater but I do have some experience.

I have noticed that things very from area to area. The locks on the southern half GU nearly always had the gates left open, at least when we were there. Everywhere else the general principal was "you open it you close it."

I always help operate the lock, or at least one of us does. Sorry to those who wish to be asked but I just muck in, walk up/down to the next lock and start getting that set etc. Even if I'm ten boats down the queue.

I've been in queue's of twenty boats, it all very civilised with usually some banter, everyone helping out. Because my boat is only 36' its possible for me to go through with another short boat. I always ask everyone in the queue if this is ok to jump them in order to go through with the other boat.

Some are stopped for lunch etc. But I just ask them.

Unless the gates are open or have been left open by a boat coming the other way for you, you will need to stop and let someone off, so mooring is the best option when approaching a lock. If there's a queue most pull the boat along with the rope to move up.

When I had my cruiser, we used to be waved by quite a lot. I dont know why because we were never doing more tham 4mph. I've found that most people dont actually know the speed they are doing and travel at whatever speed they feel comfortable at, usually slower than 4mph. I have a gps unit, that acurately tells me my speed. I never just overtook, if I did/do overtake I am waved passed at the boats in fronts discretion.

I agree with the person who mentioned safety as a priority. Also I feel we all have a responsibility to look after the canal and its locks, they're old mostly and a lot of people worked damn hard to build them and many volounteers still do, as well as other considerations exessive speed will wash away the banks and disturb the wild life for instance. Common sense is the key eh?

Andy.

I would have thought that if you are single handed you might appreciate a hand at the locks, I am beginning to have sympathy for those that choose to sit on their boat and wait until you have finished.

I agree John, I do a lot of single handed working and I am always delighted when another crew say "stay on your boat, we'll do the lock for you" Ironicly it is nearly always experienced older couples who offer help, and they almost always confirm any actions before doing them. Similarly I always offer to help other crews at a lock, but there is definitely a growing tendancy for people to sit in their boats until it is "their turn" and shun any help from others. Whether it is lack of confidence or a new form of snobbery creeping in I am not sure, but it does seem to be the crews on nice new shiny boats that show less enthusiasm to muck in.

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be a booklet and Video called 'The Waterways Code for Boaters' which detailed all of this. Another good book is the one which accompanies the Inland Waterways Helmans course. I haven't got the details of either to hand at the moment, but will look into it when I get home on Thursday.

Jon

We got caught in some traffic the weekend going north towards Brum on the Worcester & Birmingham canal. We reached the last lock just before the Black Prince / Winding point ready to turn and head back to Worcester. We got there at 3:30pm what a mistake should know better, everyman and his dog were leaving to come south all 14 boats!!!! ARRAggh.

So we moored up ready to head into the lock, i left the first mate in charge and walked up to the lock with my trusty windlass. I helped at least 4 - 5 boats through before it was our turn to use the lock and turn round.

Once turned around we moored again in the queue of 4 and i helped the boats through again.

Still surprises me how many people don't offer! Usually first timer's and stuck up private snob type owners!

Lesson to be learnt here! Don't go near a hire fleet on a Friday, Saturday, bank holidays etc at 3:00 - 3:30pm!

Edited by steveh

There used to be a booklet and Video called 'The Waterways Code for Boaters' which detailed all of this. Another good book is the one which accompanies the Inland Waterways Helmans course. I haven't got the details of either to hand at the moment, but will look into it when I get home on Thursday.

Jon

The book is now called The Boaters Handbook and runs to 40 pages , it covers everything from cruising , to using different types of locks and bridges, mooring ,safety virtually anything you want to know about boating on the canals.

It should be available from your local waterway office but if anyone has difficulty getting one - I have a small supply so ring me on 0121 200 7400 office hours and I will send one in the post.

Steveh

You must have passed us then as we were heading south to Worcester before going on up to Stourport . It must have been interesting all that lot getting through the log jam of boats at Hanbury Wharf with all those New Boat Company shells everywhere . We met one about half way past the moorings which as it had no engine was being punted back to the yard which made life interesting for a bit .

Perhaps we ought to have Forum Stickers on the boat so we can recognise kindred spirits as we pass by - come to think of it would anyone be interested in a Forum Boat Rally/Meet at some central canalside hostelry ?