SR3 gear issue

Martinb2347

Featured Posts

Morning all.  We recently replaced our morse control after being advised the old one was beyond repair.   We have since installed a teleflex model which has so far been working well however we have a reoccuring problem which the previous control also experienced.   

When using the lever with the neutral button pressed the control is smooth.   When this is disengaged we find that that it works well until we need to slow down and its then the lever seems to jump slightly as if its catching and then releasing.   We do experience this on occasion when engaging forward in that you need to push 3/4 of the way to engage the engine but can slow until of course the inevitable jump occurs.  It doesnt seem to happen in reverse.

It does seem to be the gear aspect thats the problem.   I was wondering if adjusting the throttle brake would make any difference or is there anything else to consider?

The gearbox is a LH150 on an SR3

Any ideas would be a great help.....

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Martinb2347 said:

Morning all.  We recently replaced our morse control after being advised the old one was beyond repair.   We have since installed a teleflex model which has so far been working well however we have a reoccuring problem which the previous control also experienced.   

When using the lever with the neutral button pressed the control is smooth.   When this is disengaged we find that that it works well until we need to slow down and its then the lever seems to jump slightly as if its catching and then releasing.   We do experience this on occasion when engaging forward in that you need to push 3/4 of the way to engage the engine but can slow until of course the inevitable jump occurs.  It doesnt seem to happen in reverse.

It does seem to be the gear aspect thats the problem.   I was wondering if adjusting the throttle brake would make any difference or is there anything else to consider?

The gearbox is a LH150 on an SR3

Any ideas would be a great help.....

Thanks

You have a tight or badly bent cable. If it is new it is routed badly with too tight a bend. If old it may be seizing up due to the nylon inner being worn through.

Either way it will snap soon, get a spare in stock.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You have a tight or badly bent cable. If it is new it is routed badly with too tight a bend. If old it may be seizing up due to the nylon inner being worn through.

Either way it will snap soon, get a spare in stock.

There is alot or cable.   I can check any bad bends and ensure its free but how would i adjust a tight cable?  Is this tight as it tight from the lever to the gearbox?

Disconnect the cable from the gearbox lever. This lever should move relativity smoothly and easily by hand. If it does there is no problem with your gearbox. It then must be either a cable or single lever control issue. 

I am not saying that the cable is tight as in too short.

What I am saying is that the inner wire is tight in the outer casing making the cable stiff to move.

This will be because either the cable has a sharp bend or damaged outer or the nylon lining is worn away.

Often cables get burnt on the exhaust pipe, this melts the nylon lining.