Idea for painting Gunnel/Bow

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

The gunnels on water lily are looking sad along where you walk and getting patchy, and the patterned area of the bow is very faded with rust spots so looking at a plan to sort. I notice generally gunnels are done in matt black but wondered if I was looking to paint the bow so its entirely black (international black paint - glossy) is this suitable to follow on along each side along the gunnel?  Am I right in thinking a gloss paint would be more hard wearing than matt or is this an area which is best kept matt?  thanks in anticipation!

20200802_071037.jpg

20200802_131336.jpg

The one I ended up using was "SafeKote" used on commercial shipping, oil rigs etc.

Safekote Marine 1 litre

Description

SafeKote Marine is an anti-slip single-component polyurethane coating incorporating uniform silica beads that provide an attractive, low profile and slip-resistant surface for wet or dry walkways which is easy to clean and maintain. Its moisture-cure aliphatic polyurethane composition provides ease of application with an extremely abrasion and weather resistant film suitable for marine applications. SafeKote has an attractive, low gloss finish which is easy to clean.

SafeKote comes in attractive standard colours including transparent that will not fade or yellow from UV radiation, although safety colours and other colours are available on request.

https://www.newventureproducts.co.uk/safekote-marine-anti-slip-paint/189-safekote-marine

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The one I ended up using was "SafeKote" used on commercial shipping, oil rigs etc.

Safekote Marine 1 litre

Description

SafeKote Marine is an anti-slip single-component polyurethane coating incorporating uniform silica beads that provide an attractive, low profile and slip-resistant surface for wet or dry walkways which is easy to clean and maintain. Its moisture-cure aliphatic polyurethane composition provides ease of application with an extremely abrasion and weather resistant film suitable for marine applications. SafeKote has an attractive, low gloss finish which is easy to clean.

SafeKote comes in attractive standard colours including transparent that will not fade or yellow from UV radiation, although safety colours and other colours are available on request.

https://www.newventureproducts.co.uk/safekote-marine-anti-slip-paint/189-safekote-marine

Thanks so much Alan, that looks absolutely ideal for the gunnels!!!!

The old fashioned way is paint as normal, then mask off the area you want textured, then paint with ordinary boat top coat paint, then sprinkle sand on it, wait to dry, brush, or vac off the excess, remove the tape, then paint one, or more coats on top to seal in the sand. That is how my boat is done. Used for the gunwales and rear deck where someone steps off and on. 

Jen

• Greenie 1