How much play should there be in a driveplate coupling

Featured Posts

I have had a loud clattering in forward gear coming from the rear of the boat.  The noise disappeared when in neutral, or at tickover.  As the engine warmed up the clattering got louder until it was clattering at tickover as well.

I always hope to find the cheapest problems first, but the prop was clear.  The drive coupling is fine, and the engine mounts solid.

I removed the gearbox to look at the driveplate.  There is some movement in the driveplate coupling which to me seems excessive.  How much movement should there be ?

Advice please

IMAG1334.jpg

IMAG1335.jpg

23 minutes ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

I have had a loud clattering in forward gear coming from the rear of the boat.  The noise disappeared when in neutral, or at tickover.  As the engine warmed up the clattering got louder until it was clattering at tickover as well.

I always hope to find the cheapest problems first, but the prop was clear.  The drive coupling is fine, and the engine mounts solid.

I removed the gearbox to look at the driveplate.  There is some movement in the driveplate coupling which to me seems excessive.  How much movement should there be ?

Advice please

IMAG1334.jpg

IMAG1335.jpg

I think it needs mending with a new one!

it looks well chewed up to me??

To move manually just about none otherwise the metal/plastic/rubber "springs" would have trouble with engine torque. I suggest you take it off and send a photo of the other side but judging  by the inner section's misalignment with the assembly holes I suspect its had it - not 100% sure without seeing the other side.