Fire bricks.

Featured Posts

My Villager Heron has been treated to new fire bricks.

In order to reduce the grate area a brick was placed on the back of the grate bars.  This brick when removed just crumbled, not really surprising, it was just a 2nd hand house brick, complete with mortar in the frog!

Should I replace this with a proper fire-brick, or just any old brick?

I expect to only have small low fires till everything has had a chance to fully dry.

Bod.

Any old blue engineering brick would be best.  It will last better than a stock brick  you can sometimes find them lying around canalside where CRT have been doing repairs and left a few loafing.

Avoid concrete bricks.  They don't last at all well.

N

7 hours ago, Bod said:

My Villager Heron has been treated to new fire bricks.

In order to reduce the grate area a brick was placed on the back of the grate bars.  This brick when removed just crumbled, not really surprising, it was just a 2nd hand house brick, complete with mortar in the frog!

Should I replace this with a proper fire-brick, or just any old brick?

I expect to only have small low fires till everything has had a chance to fully dry.

Bod.

I can supply a standard blue engineering brick in Hampshire, for free.  PM me if interested.