Morso 1412 - Baffle Removal

cpl4

Featured Posts

Morning troops!

I was just wondering whether anyone has a Morso 1412 and knows how to remove the baffle plate.  I had the stove installed last year and wanted to give the liner a sweep now the weather has perked up.  Is it possible to remove the baffle plate and sweep up through the stove?  The stove also looks like it has a small hood above the baffle plate... does this need removing before I can sweep...  or could I remove this hood completely to make future sweeps easier?

Many thanks in advance!

Does your stove have a back boiler installed? If not, there can be two baffle plates in there. One runs the full width of the stove, the other fits under the base of flue, if it is a top exit stove. For boat installs Morso recommend not fitting the second one, but fitting the first full width one, or a back boiler. The back boiler replaces the full width baffle. Which of these do you mean?

Just spotted this is your first post. Welcome to CWDF!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I and I suspect most people sweep the flue from the top down, stood on the roof. Keeping the door closed keeps the soot inside and not all over the boat cabin as sweeping bottom up would do. Then sweep it all in to the ash pan and remove. Baffle plate, or back boiler is in place. There is an inch, or inch and a half gap to get the soot and clinker out between the top of the plate, or back boiler and the top of the stove.

That is for the reply.  This is actually the burner in my house actually.  Not the one on our boat.   No it doesn’t have a back boiler.  There is a small removable cast iron plate infront of the baffle which I can remove easily but I don’t know whether I should be removing bolts to take away the main baffle.  I’ve extensively googled but can’t seem to find anything anywhere ??‍♂️

5 minutes ago, cpl4 said:

That is for the reply.  This is actually the burner in my house actually.  Not the one on our boat.   No it doesn’t have a back boiler.  There is a small removable cast iron plate infront of the baffle which I can remove easily but I don’t know whether I should be removing bolts to take away the main baffle.  I’ve extensively googled but can’t seem to find anything anywhere ??‍♂️

That is an important bit of information to leave out when asking a question on a boat forum ?! In that case, sorry, no idea. Morso stoves are held together by bolts, but the ones inside the firebox seize up rapidly and any attempt to remove them afterwards usually just ends up shearing the head off. If it is held in with internal bolts, then I wouldn't attempt to remove it.

Could be worth getting in a chimney sweep and seeing how they cope. They have to deal with cast iron stoves much more than open fire places these days, so will have a method.

Jen

There's an exploded diagram here: https://www.harworthheating.co.uk/downloads/Parts %26 Exploded Diagrams/Morso/Wood %26 Multifuel/SQUIRREL 1400 1410 1412 1416 1430 1440 1442 1452/ which might (or not) be better than yours. (That's a good site for finding stove diagrams, they cover many makes).

Martin/

Ask King's Lock Chandlery, they are Morso main agents.

A lot depends on the flue length and draw. the cast cricket box shaped baffle is discarded with a short flue. I understood that the larger baffle just lifted out, not bolted in. Its not fitted if there is a back boiler.

If you have no back boiler and the small half moon shaped throat plate is still in it, remove it, two nuts. If you leave it in you'll probably get incredible cloggage of the the flue pipe.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ask King's Lock Chandlery, they are Morso main agents.

A lot depends on the flue length and draw. the cast cricket box shaped baffle is discarded with a short flue. I understood that the larger baffle just lifted out, not bolted in. Its not fitted if there is a back boiler.

That is my recollection of the Morso. It sits on the fire bricks and you push it up slightly, move it to one side, tilt it down at one side and you can withdraw it.

A quick check with mr google suggests removing one or both side fire bricks first but I can't recall having to do that.