How do I find out if someone owns a boat?

MrBoat

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Even then, said debtor could sell boat to a friend or family for £1 , and have a private agreement to staying on boat.

Not that that would make a lot of difference except to involve a third party in the argument. If the first person actually did own the boat then he could sell it to whom and for what he wished but the ownership in neither case lay with the OP. If, however, the first person did not own it then he cannot sell it and any simulated transaction would not affect the OP's claim to the boat.

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Not that that would make a lot of difference except to involve a third party in the argument. If the first person actually did own the boat then he could sell it to whom and for what he wished but the ownership in neither case lay with the OP. If, however, the first person did not own it then he cannot sell it and any simulated transaction would not affect the OP's claim to the boat.

The op has no claim on the boat, no court is going to make someone homeless over a debt, unless the boat was originally offered as security for such debt, this doesn't sound like the case here at all.

8 hours ago, Rickent said:

The op has no claim on the boat, no court is going to make someone homeless over a debt, unless the boat was originally offered as security for such debt, this doesn't sound like the case here at all.

NB I was replying to Matty40's particular post. 

OP says he wants to know if a particular person owns a boat - he knows they live on a boat and where it is, but he wants to know if they own a boat.

I strongly suspect the problem isn't tracing the boat, it's tracing the ownership - unless he chances upon a bill of sale or a receipt for purchase that will be difficult, 

38 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

OP says he wants to know if a particular person owns a boat - he knows they live on a boat and where it is, but he wants to know if they own a boat.

I read as him not wanting to if they own *a* boat, but *which* boat in particular, and specifically, the name of it.

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I read as him not wanting to if they own *a* boat, but *which* boat in particular, and specifically, the name of it.

On 15/03/2020 at 08:03, MrBoat said:

Hello

I am trying to find out if someone owns a boat. All I have is the person's name. Is there a register where I can see if they're a boat owner?

It's urgent so any help would be gratefully received. 

Thanks

Suggests otherwise

Although I'd agree the OP probably wants to know of the person owns the boat they are living on, i.e. a particular boat

Edited by magpie patrick