Hospital silencers

sueanddaren

Featured Posts

Why are they called Hospital Silencers?

Because, hospitals have very large standby generators and obviously the patients would be disturbed by the noise when it is running, so an exhaust system is needed that reduces those levels to an acceptable amount.

Hence it has been used to describe a silencer that reduces noise levels to greater degree than a 'normal' one.

Is there any point putting a hospital silencer on an open frame generator, or does the engine itself make lots of noise? :smiley_offtopic: Steve
I have no doubt at all that addinbg a hospital silencer to my open frame 2.8 kw single cylinder diesel gen set would reduce its noise but equally no doubt that it makes a pretty impressive din on its own so doubt the cost is worth it. Cacoon it (and if you do you will need to add cooling or the electronics that do the voltage control get VERY upset) then that would be a different matter.
Does anyone know of a company who sells Hospital silencers?
I know that others have added suggestions here as to where. I spent last weekend helping a friend install one on his boat and have to say I was seriously impressed. It made the loudest thing that could be heard the internal knockings of the engine itself as it warmed up - once warm you couldn't tell the engine was running.

I have no doubt at all that addinbg a hospital silencer to my open frame 2.8 kw single cylinder diesel gen set would reduce its noise but equally no doubt that it makes a pretty impressive din on its own so doubt the cost is worth it. Cacoon it (and if you do you will need to add cooling or the electronics that do the voltage control get VERY upset) then that would be a different matter.I know that others have added suggestions here as to where. I spent last weekend helping a friend install one on his boat and have to say I was seriously impressed. It made the loudest thing that could be heard the internal knockings of the engine itself as it warmed up - once warm you couldn't tell the engine was running.

The chap who converted emblem said 'there is no excuse for noise'

Could these type of silencers be used for conventional engine exhaust systems and not just gennies

Edited to say ive just answerd my own qustion by looking at Ledgards site......too many sherberts :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by saltysplash