Where to buy large quantities of antifreeze?

jetzi

Featured Posts

I have a drum of 100 litres of used coolant that I have been carrying around for months. It's pretty dilute as it is 50 litres of my coolant plus 50 litres from my first flush with tap water, but obviously too toxic for a drain, soil or (gasp) a waterway.

On 21/12/2019 at 21:34, nbfiresprite said:

Every tip that I used, have had a tank for it to be poured into.

Can you name those tips (preferably near a canal)? I have called around at many tips and they all say they are only willing to take a couple of litres in containers. Many of them also want me to prove that I live in the area and arrive in a car... as a CCer both things I can't do.

I have also called several garages and they also don't want anything to do with it.

I called CaRT who say that's nothing to do with them (fair enough).

I called the council and they gave me the number of a private chemical compay.

That was the closest I can get - they will come and pick it up for 150 GBP ex vat, and even they want to steal my drum.

Can anyone suggest the name of a place that they know of who will take it (I'm on the Shroppie at the moment but I can travel)? I feel like I'm out of other options. Is it really going to cost me 200+ quid to get rid of this stuff?

If it goes down a lavatory into the main foul drainage system, not a septic tank or cess pit, the dilution factor by the time it reaches the sewage works will render it innocuous.

Far worse things go down the sewers every hour of every day.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, jetzi said:

I have a drum of 100 litres of used coolant that I have been carrying around for months. It's pretty dilute as it is 50 litres of my coolant plus 50 litres from my first flush with tap water, but obviously too toxic for a drain, soil or (gasp) a waterway.

Can you name those tips (preferably near a canal)? I have called around at many tips and they all say they are only willing to take a couple of litres in containers. Many of them also want me to prove that I live in the area and arrive in a car... as a CCer both things I can't do.

I have also called several garages and they also don't want anything to do with it.

I called CaRT who say that's nothing to do with them (fair enough).

I called the council and they gave me the number of a private chemical compay.

That was the closest I can get - they will come and pick it up for 150 GBP ex vat, and even they want to steal my drum.

Can anyone suggest the name of a place that they know of who will take it (I'm on the Shroppie at the moment but I can travel)? I feel like I'm out of other options. Is it really going to cost me 200+ quid to get rid of this stuff?

Our local council wont take it ether.

6 hours ago, jetzi said:

One was in Langley in Station Road on the Slough Arm, which still there. The others have seem to have been closed in the last 11 years since I was last on CRT waters. Many of these places are now run under contract and tend to make their own rules up. Often it is just a case of calling the local council it you have problems. The local tip did try to stop me using it, claiming vechices only (Which was in breach of council rules) when I turned up at the weekend with the bike pulling a trailer full of waste. They called the police when I refused to leave. Police turned up and told them stop making trouble as the bike is define as a vechice of the highway (Town & Country Act 1888 section 2). Afterall the council don't want people fly tipping. Both Tower Hamlets and Camden council's have a major problem with fly tipping near the canal. Last year Tower Hamlets increased the fine for fly tipping to £400 from £75.     

• Greenie 1