Lock 20. Stratford Canal

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

I don't think it has been posted by CaRT but Lock 20, Kingswood Lock at Lapworth on the Stratford is not useable at the moment.

I touched it last, so I suppose it could be my fault that it's broken(?)

The offside paddle rack has always been a bit wibbly wobbly but yesterday afternoon, as I was bringing 'Red Wharf' up it was worse than ever, so I didn't lift that paddle.

The lock was filling from the other side when I saw the whole rack on the offside topple over and fall in with a big splash!

I could get the top gate about three quarters open but not enough to get the boat through, the gubbins under the water being in the way.

Not too much of a problem here as Lock 21 provides an alternative route. All I had to do was reverse out of the lock and go through the link to get back to our mooring.

CaRT are aware. Two of their misters tried to get the mechanism out yesterday but it was too heavy for them.

Lock 20 currently has red and white tape on the top and bottom gates.

• Greenie 1

We had the same thing happen at the lock by the Boot as we were emptying the lock to go up, called CRT, backed up to the visitor moorings and retired to the pub (it was about 7pm anyway).  Guy from CRT came out a did lots of sucking of teeth.  They got a diver out first thing inthe morning and fixed it pronto, good job.  I always blamed to guy going up ahead of us!

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

That's kind, calling him/her a boater - thick as a plank I'd say - and blind!

I little harsh I think.  If he had come down from lock 19, and if he din't have any sort of map (and a surprising number don't) then he would not know he could go down lock 21 and then through the link as an alternative to going through lock 20.  You can't see the link unless you go to the tail of lock 20.  Just checked, and there is no stoppage listed for lock 20, presumably because there is an alternative.