I have just put a deposit on a boat!!

Acorn

Featured Posts

i have just put a deposit on a narrowboat yesterday. its 55ft . i am soo scared. i better book a helmsman course. .. although i have had a cruiser for a year but this is way bigger.

i am excited as well as i cant wait to get going with this. we will only be doing the middle levels to begin with so its not as scary as it seems i guess.

how much is a 55ft narrowboat worth does anyone think. it wasnt launched till 1996. and its in really good nick too inside and out .. .. will be back asking loads of questions now.. <_<

Acorn

Acorn,

Well done that man!

Dont worry about the price now for Gawds sake...get out there and enjoy the bally boat.

And for heavens sake dont get taken down the "Helmsman" course route. Its a big rip off, big style.

Fire up asap and set off for a sail, we did 30 years ago, and hire fleets are doing it still. You will, of course, get posts from people telling you how good their "Helmsmans" course was and how much they learned etc, but belive me, its a rip off.

Get out there and enjoy your boat, dont worry about what other people think, you paid for it!

Andy.

Edited by Travis

Acorn,

Well done that man!

Dont worry about the price now for Gawds sake...get out there and enjoy the bally boat.

And for heavens sake dont get taken down the "Helmsman" course route. Its a big rip off, big style.

Fire up asap and set off for a sail, we did 30 years ago, and hire fleets are doing it still. You will, of course, get posts from people telling you how good their "Helmsmans" course was and how much they learned etc, but belive me, its a rip off.

Get out there and enjoy your boat, dont worry about what other people think, you paid for it!

Andy.

Fenders to you sir! <_<

i have just put a deposit on a narrowboat yesterday. its 55ft . i am soo scared. i better book a helmsman course. .. although i have had a cruiser for a year but this is way bigger.

i am excited as well as i cant wait to get going with this. we will only be doing the middle levels to begin with so its not as scary as it seems i guess.

how much is a 55ft narrowboat worth does anyone think. it wasnt launched till 1996. and its in really good nick too inside and out .. .. will be back asking loads of questions now.. <_<

Acorn

Big jump from a cruiser to a 55 footer. Enjoy it. Regarding pricing I have spotted 2 cracking looking 40 footers for around the £17000 mark in just this very week.

how much is a 55ft narrowboat worth does anyone think. it wasnt launched till 1996. and its in really good nick too inside and out

It's worth what you paid for it, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. Go out and enjoy: read lots of books (and this forum) but you can't beat first-hand experience laced with a little common sense.

Congrats and enjoy!

Ian

Hi Acorn.

I tend to agree with Travis, I would not describe the courses as a 'rip off' but not everyone will benefit. I have had eight year old girls try their hand at steering and take to it 'like a duck to water' no need of any kind of guidance. Then again I've had 40 year old experienced car drivers. 'Bloody hopeless'.

Congratulations,Acorn, I am sooooooooo jealous/envious.

I've been keeping tabs on a few boats over the months and was almost tempted today when I noticed a little cruiser stern one on Apollo Duck ,which has been up since April, has dropped it's price from £37,000 to ...................£36,996!

Hi Acorn.

I tend to agree with Travis, I would not describe the courses as a 'rip off' but not everyone will benefit. I have had eight year old girls try their hand at steering and take to it 'like a duck to water' no need of any kind of guidance. Then again I've had 40 year old experienced car drivers. 'Bloody hopeless'.

I too wouldn't put it quite as strong as Travis, but l am also sceptical about the current format of the IWHC, although something is better than nothing.

It is possible to learn to drive a car sufficiently well to pass the test in 7 days or so but this doesn't make you a driver. It takes years of accumulated knowledge and experience. Seamanship (or boatmanship) is the same. It is impossible to expect an instructor to turn a novice into a competent boater in one or two days. The best that can be expected is that the course will sow seeds for the beginner to learn more. The problem arises where people take a course and then profess to be experts. Experience gained over a period of time is essential in my book.

Howard Anguish

Hey Andy - you know what you've just done, don't you? You're going to have us on your doorstep, er, gangplank, pestering you for lessons at Greenberfield locks and demonstrations of knot-tying.

However, if you agree to do it, there'll be half a pint of shandy in it for you <_<

Acorn,

Well done that man!

Andy.

Hi Acorn and congrats. We've only recently bought ours and already had loads of enjoyment.

I can't agree with Travis about the helmsman's course - the one we did (after 5 years of hiring) taught us loads and gave lots of confidence.

Best wishes

SteveE