Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Bump and Grind

Velvet Drive problem

Featured Posts

I have a BMC 1.5 married to a 71C Velvet Drive with a problem. The oil (ATF) is up to the mark on the dipstick but when I get to about 1500rpm oil comes out of the breather. Reducing revs stops this. Has anyone got any idea what is wrong and how can I solve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the gearbox oil cooler connected and properly cooled with cool water flow?

 

Never heard of this before but if its raw water cooled heat  exchanger on the pressure side of the pump has the oil gone pink. If so then maybe the oil cooler is holed.

 

Overfilling so the oil aerates might cause then but you say the level is correct. The thing I can't remember is if the level is with the plug screwed in or just lodged on the top of the hole.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is the gearbox oil cooler connected and properly cooled with cool water flow?

 

Never heard of this before but if its raw water cooled heat  exchanger on the pressure side of the pump has the oil gone pink. If so then maybe the oil cooler is holed.

 

Overfilling so the oil aerates might cause then but you say the level is correct. The thing I can't remember is if the level is with the plug screwed in or just lodged on the top of the hole.

Oil cooler is connected and cooled by the skin tanks, no leaks or holes. Oil is ATF so is red anyway. The dipstick is not a screw it’s a plug, it’s not original, so I’m not sure if it is even correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bump and Grind said:

Oil cooler is connected and cooled by the skin tanks, no leaks or holes. Oil is ATF so is red anyway. The dipstick is not a screw it’s a plug, it’s not original, so I’m not sure if it is even correct.

Yes. Velvetdrive dip sticks are on the end of what looks like an iron plumbers male blanking plug with a square to put the spanner on.

 

I did not ask you if the oil was red, I asked if it was punk and that indicatives water contamination.

 

Not sure how you can be so sure the oil cooler core is not leaking because that would not show on the outside but would show as pink (not red) oil or pinky oil in the engine header tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

Are you sure that you have the correct dipstick? Only ever seen a similar thing when a gearbox was overfull

Not sure how to tell if its correct. The OP may very well have a reduction box on the end of the gearbox but I thought they all used the same oil. If it is separate then there is a good chance the dipsticks have been transposed Lister style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see any trace of water in box or oil in the cooling system. The box (I believe) is quite early, the serial number is 7716, so the dipstick might be sortoff original. Someone else mentioned overfilling so I will take some oil out and retry this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Velvet drive is also used with a torque converter,and for some reason some blow oil out the filler /breather....cure is to install a large capacity catch can ................Dexron can assume a pink colour when its aerated................with water its a very anaemic pink like a blancmange.....a pink one ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, john.k said:

The Velvet drive is also used with a torque converter,and for some reason some blow oil out the filler /breather....cure is to install a large capacity catch can ................Dexron can assume a pink colour when its aerated................with water its a very anaemic pink like a blancmange.....a pink one ......

I can't say you are incorrect but I have never seen a torque converter on a UK inland boat. Borg Warner auto transmissions yes, but not with marine Velvet drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set one up....a paddle wheeler.....or sidewheeler to be more correct.......the tractor tranny shares most parts with the marine one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john.k said:

Set one up....a paddle wheeler.....or sidewheeler to be more correct.......the tractor tranny shares most parts with the marine one.

 

You have a sidewheeler using Velvetdrives? 

 

Brilliant!!

 

Got any photos??

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.