Speeding Boaters

cuthound

Featured Posts

On 03/07/2019 at 17:29, Machpoint005 said:

I do wonder about the wisdom of passing mooring lines through fairleads in the first place, but then I don't know the layout of the mooring so it may be unavoidable. There's a case for having chains for one's home mooring.

In 17 years of living aboard I've never had a problem with mooring ropes and I used to moor my widebeam on the Thames with big passenger boats speeding past quite close at 10kts plus and making my boat move around quite a lot, despite the springs I'd set up. 

There's nothing wrong with fairleads per se, the problem is the method the fairleads are attached to narrowboats. A couple of little brass screws just doesn't cut it compared to the potential forces involved on the fitting. But if that's how one's fairleads are attached then yes I'd agree with you about questioning the wisdom of using them.

Edited by blackrose

On 17/10/2019 at 15:08, NB Caelmiri said:

It's not a long stretch of water, it's the small section of the Calder and Hebble between that and the Aire and Calder in Wakefield. I'm currently moored there (until the weekend) but buggered if only one boat has passed by at a reasonable speed, and it was one of CaRTs work boats. Every other boat that has passed by as if they're being chased by dinosaurs or there's a last minute walking stick sale down the road. (Yes, the boaters have been, every last one of them, of a certain age).

I'm not going to jump out of my boat and start waving my fists and shouting abuse at them but there may come a point where I do pop my head out and make a sarcastic comment as they fly past.

SLOW DOWN!

That length is deep and wide, it minimises the speed effect. I was moored there for three weeks not so long ago. My boat moved sometimes, its what they do. A couple of fat fenders keep it quiet. 

Last year I was chugging up towards Stanley Ferry, 4mph, deep and wide cut, shallow draught, 18", maybe shifting 10 cu m h2o, still had the whingers out, their boats were hardly moving. 

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

That length is deep and wide, it minimises the speed effect. I was moored there for three weeks not so long ago. My boat moved sometimes, its what they do. A couple of fat fenders keep it quiet. 

Last year I was chugging up towards Stanley Ferry, 4mph, deep and wide cut, shallow draught, 18", maybe shifting 10 cu m h2o, still had the whingers out, their boats were hardly moving. 

It was you!! You beast! Actually, I'm over it. I've moved on. I was excited to hear the locks were open so I could get myself to Castleford as has been the plan for 3 weeks. Keep getting stuck behind closed flood locks.

Got to Stanley Ferry to find out Woodnock lock was in the red. Turns out there is a glimmer of  hope I can crack on tomorrow as I could see some yellow.