Portable Solar Panel

mark99

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Does anyone use these on a bote circa 200W?

I have two that fold up. These are both 200W. They were provided with a controller on the rear of the panels,but I have recently disconnected these and fitted an MPPT controller for better performance in lower light. The existing controllers were OK in full sun. Slightly more expensive owing to their folding mechanism but have been fine for a few years now.

How do you connect them CW at the battery end?

Do you have a dangly thing on the terminals you plug into or crock clips.... newbie here.

Edited by mark99

Permanent instal to mppt regulator, then flywire to insulated connector, then plug in to panel. We use this to double up our solar when moored for a while, as we only have short cabin top. Means you disconnect solar first.

or wobbly cables built in regulator and crock clips. But thats much less efficient.

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

How do you connect them CW at the battery end?

Do you have a dangly thing on the terminals you plug into or crock clips.... newbie here.

Pretty much as roland says, i wired permanent wires through a suitable fuse to the  mppt controller. Just the usual crimp connectors on the battery end. Nothing fancy :)

Edited by Guest

Panels hard-wired to 20A controller via HD isolator.  Controller hard-wired to battery via HD isolator and 20A fuse (for 200W panel).

Always isolate panel before isolating battery link, connect battery before connecting panels (so controller knows what voltage the system is - not all controllers will need this).