Hydraulic steering pump

bigcol

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They only have one high pressure port connected to the ram 9the rack], in a car system, the second pipe is is a low pressure return, when you turn the wheel it uncovers a port and allows high pressure fluid to aid the rack as it moves across the unused fluid returns to the reservoir via a coller and then back to the  tank

I know, for someone who is capable of understanding & setting up that lithium battery system I think you must be deliberately misunderstanding what I am trying to say. The pumps have TWO ports, the inlet from the reservoir and the outlet. I have admitted the inlet will need some sorting out.  Now just forget about the rest of the car system. Fit pipes to the inlet and outlet of the pump and stick them in a tub of fluid. Turn the pump one way and one hose   sucks and the other blows. Turn it the other and the suck and blow are reversed. Connect the hoses to either end of a ram and (forgetting about filling the system for now) and turn the pump one way and the tram extends, turn it the other and it retracts.

I think in the simple marine system the inlet and outlet ports also have valves connected that will open under suction to allow fluid to be drawn in from the reservoir, the pump etc. being submerged in the fluid vut I am not too clear on that part of the system. I do not see why and vane or bi-rotor pump of suitable dimensions can not be used.

32 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They only have one high pressure port connected to the ram 9the rack], in a car system, the second pipe is is a low pressure return, when you turn the wheel it uncovers a port and allows high pressure fluid to aid the rack as it moves across the unused fluid returns to the reservoir via a coller and then back to the  tank

In actual fact  you do need two ports on the car rack, otherwise you will get a hydraulic lock. either can be the fluid return or feed depending upon which way you are turning the wheel. If you only wanted to move the rack with no power assistance and no feed back you would not need the control valve. However this has little to do with marine steering systems so I am not going to continue to try to get you to understand the vehicle system and how they may be a potential source of a cheap pump.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I know, for someone who is capable of understanding & setting up that lithium battery system I think you must be deliberately misunderstanding what I am trying to say. The pumps have TWO ports, the inlet from the reservoir and the outlet. I have admitted the inlet will need some sorting out.  Now just forget about the rest of the car system. Fit pipes to the inlet and outlet of the pump and stick them in a tub of fluid. Turn the pump one way and one hose   sucks and the other blows. Turn it the other and the suck and blow are reversed. Connect the hoses to either end of a ram and (forgetting about filling the system for now) and turn the pump one way and the tram extends, turn it the other and it retracts.

I think in the simple marine system the inlet and outlet ports also have valves connected that will open under suction to allow fluid to be drawn in from the reservoir, the pump etc. being submerged in the fluid vut I am not too clear on that part of the system. I do not see why and vane or bi-rotor pump of suitable dimensions can not be used.

Tony all the pumps I have taken to pieces have relief valves in them for safety so I dont think they would would work especially in reverse, I know what you are saying but they have moved on in the last few years, which is why we are seeing the electric systems

• 3 years later...
On 30/05/2019 at 09:21, peterboat said:

Col I have hydraulic steering it's the vetus system where the wheel is attached to the pump, it works well five turns lock to lock and has feel, you arnt fitting an engine pump system are you? Because I wouldn't your boat isn't big enough for that

hi there

i did buy a helm pump from wills and Ridley a tetra 45, but moved the boat to turn arround, and is was 12 turns lock to lock.

to be fair it was a lot of work, low speed, with such a lot of turns. My previous boat Jambo Rafiki was about 6 lock to lock.

what model pump have you got,? I know it’s a vetus as you’ve mentioned. I have been told about the kolbelt system via asap store but that’s £1400!! But that’s variable from 5 turns to 13 lock to lock

hope alls okay

col