Watertank choice - which is best?

Featured Posts

Come on come on.

- Do we really need to fall out over this?

Not sure what johns orignal post was geting at, but there we go. Built-in/integral, sounds like the same thing to me. Can we move on john?

Daniel

Hi,

How does bitumen fare in integral steel tanks, does it still allow rust underneath?

cheers,

Pete.

same conditions as blacking your bottom, really. there are some bitumen paints specially certified for potable water service, so check before you paint.

I've had an (old hancock and lane) integral built in mild steel part of the hull tank and a polyprop one, i'd never consider built in again cos it seems to me to be a bad design. (my opinion). I've heard of stainless tanks having weld weakness. Properly constructed and baffled welded pp would be my top choice on a new build. Anyone know about grp water tanks?

I've had an (old hancock and lane) integral built in mild steel part of the hull tank and a polyprop one, i'd never consider built in again cos it seems to me to be a bad design. (my opinion). I've heard of stainless tanks having weld weakness. Properly constructed and baffled welded pp would be my top choice on a new build. Anyone know about grp water tanks?

Had a grp tank in a yatch...(sorry i know its not a ditch crawler). It was fitted in the 'V' of the focsle, Had no problems at all. The previous owner told me ' just put a table spoon of bleach in with every 2nd refill'

seemed to do the trick and there wasnt any taste that i recall, but then ive always used a Mr bittas water filter for drinking the stuff direct from the tap

Anyone know about grp water tanks?

I've been reading about GRP boats in Practical Boat Owner and I have a feeling that their water tanks are lined - couldn't say for certain mind you

I've been reading about GRP boats in Practical Boat Owner and I have a feeling that their water tanks are lined - couldn't say for certain mind you

I would certainly think so,

My current tank in the old tub is steel, 2000 litres of the stuff. The tank is given a Cement Wash every 5 years or so which involves undoing 15 bolts, then climbing inside and getting cement everywhere. Not nice. But it does keep the corrosion down which is i think its only purpose.

If its going to be a maintainance free tank then i recon stainless steel is the one. Next one down if cost is an issue would probably be PP

My previous boat (GRP) had a triangular collapsible plastic bag in the bow. Only 200 litres though so not a huge amount, lasting about a day and a half typically with showers.

Chris

Emilyanne's tank is 80gallon (300l) and we find it fine for what we do.

- Its more than enough if your crusing most of the time, with enough last a week moored up somewhere as long as your not being silly with it.

Daniel

Emilyanne's tank is 80gallon (300l) and we find it fine for what we do.

- Its more than enough if your crusing most of the time, with enough last a week moored up somewhere as long as your not being silly with it.

Daniel

'pends how often you take a shower Daniel ...................... ;):cheers::(

.................. (students ! :cheers: ) ...........................

I have a 100 gallon (450 litre) stainless tank and we use about 150 litres max per day, both taking showers every morning and often another shower at night. So that's 3 days use although we tend to fill not later than the second day every time.

Chris