New to the site, HELLO!

NickZexy

Featured Posts

Hello, my name is Nick, I am new to the site.

I am currently looking into renting a narrowboat, not for a holiday... but to live on in-definately. I cannot afford to buy a boat just yet, so I am looking into renting obviously :banghead: how is it done? I can only find renting for holidays. Not for residential pujrposes???

Id consider moving anywhere so... ideas? :unsure:

thanks

I think it's quite difficult to find rentals, someone else please correct me if I'm wrong, but boat owners cannot rent out their boats without a commercial license and insurance, which costs a lot of money.

I see the occasional boat up for rental, but they do not allow you to move the boat, generally you have to stay on the mooring all the time.

I last saw boats advertised for rental on Apollo Duck and also Viriginia Currer Marine (Google them)

Edited by Lady Muck

I think it's quite difficult to find rentals, someone else please correct me if I'm wrong, but boat owners cannot rent out their boats without a commercial license and insurance, which costs a lot of money.

True

The Last Boat I happened to see for rent was I think on appollo Duck, I think the price was £250 Per Week..and I cant add what that included exactly..so Quite an expensive rental in reality

edited to add found it with all details

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=50799

Edited by Knotty

Hmm, yes, does seem rather expensive actually, I was wrong thinking it would be ALOT cheaper than buying a house.

It actually can be. I know someone who bought a 28ft GRP boat for less than £2000, didn't need anything other than tidying up. Cruised around the system as a genuine CCer for a year or two. Kept it simple and the costs were less than most people spend on petrol running the car.

Edited by Supermalc

Hmm, yes, does seem rather expensive actually, I was wrong thinking it would be ALOT cheaper than buying a house.
Many newcomers are shocked to discover that narrowboats are generally as expensive to run as houses, more in many cases depending on how you live, and to add insult to injury you get only a fraction of the space. Similarly if you wish to rent, the cost likely won't be any lower than a house or flat and may well be higher. On a space basis, ie. rent per square foot, boats are proportionally very much dearer than property.

The only area in which a canal boat is cheaper than a property, in most cases, is the initial purchase cost if you are buying. After that, it's about the same or even more to run depending on how you live.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

There's a guy near me who rents his boat out for £150/week on a residential mooring in W. London. I think it's a 52ft boat which he lets tennants move. Someone's just moved out after a year but I think he's got someone new in.

Edited by blackrose

Many newcomers are shocked to discover that narrowboats are generally as expensive to run as houses, more in many cases depending on how you live, and to add insult to injury you get only a fraction of the space. Similarly if you wish to rent, the cost likely won't be any lower than a house or flat and may well be higher. On a space basis, ie. rent per square foot, boats are proportionally very much dearer than property.

The only area in which a canal boat is cheaper than a property, in most cases, is the initial purchase cost if you are buying. After that, it's about the same or even more to run depending on how you live.

regards

Steve

Well luckily, im a very easy to please person, I dont mind small living spaces. Infact I thrive in them... I lived in a tent for 2 years of my life... didnt btoher me once, never craved the electricity of central heating. :lol: best time of my life

There's a couple living in a tent on the riverbank near Lincoln. Wouldn't suit me, I'd freeze to death on the first night.

But.....as I've found out, you can live rather well on a very small income, providing you get your priorities right.

For instance I get just as much pleasure taking Barney for a walk on the riverbank, as I would to get in my private jet, fly to Monty Carlo and loose £250k an hour on the roulette wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

Welcome, I'm new as well! I have just started a business that rents out boats for a minimum of 6 months - If you want to chat then please feel free to post again or call me on 07917 104409.

We are the only people that do such rents, it has taken an age to get it sll sorted, but I do have a boat coming up for July this year - I hope this helps - incidentally this site is fab for news and helpful advice - every subject seems to be covered - it really is the one to get into if you are new to boating - I realise I now sound like an anorak so will sign off.

Tim