butler/belfast sink waste fitting

Featured Posts

afternoon!

i have a query about plumbing a new belfast sink into my galley. the waste fitting has a 1.5 inch screw thread. i want to get hold of an angled fitting that screws onto the base with a nozzle for a 20mm hose to drain the water out through the skin fitting. i have seen a few straight fittings like this, but because of the depth of the sink and the height of the skin fitting i need to have the fitting with a right-angled (or as close to it as possible) connector. all the angled connectors i've seen are for standard kitchen sinks with a screw insert to accept a central screw from the middle of the plug-hole. What i need is one that screws onto a 1.5 inch down-pipe waste. Does that make sense???

any advice would be much appreciated, as ever!

to clarify:

what i need is a fitting like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAN-SINK-WASTE-20MM-ANGLED-caravan-motorhome-camper-horsebox-boat-plug-bung-/130895601685?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item1e79fc6015

but which screws onto the base of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELFAST-KITCHEN-SINK-WASTE-SLOTTED-CHROME-BRASS-METAL-BACK-NUT-WASHER-PLUG-/230829151390?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item35be7d549e

The most compact decent solution would probably be:

Fit a standard sink waste fitting, followed by a 1.5" brass elbow. having cut the sink waste fitting down so that the elbow screws up nearly to the underside of the waste fitting locknut.

Fit a 1.5" x 3/4" reducer in the other end of the elbow to accept a threaded hose tail that will take a 20 mm hose.

Ensure that all threads are well sealed.

Chris G

PS This is about the only occasion when you have to seal on a parallel thread!

The elbow and reducer certainly should be (or from BES on line). The hose tail might be slightly more problematic, but any decent chandlery would have one.

Chris G

Edited to add - the comment about plumbers' merchants refers to the ones local to me - there are much better ones in other parts of the country!

Edited by Batavia

nope! but thanks for looking. this one is just for your normal sink, i.e. a central screw that locates into the waste immediately below the sinkhole. with the belfast/butler, there is a long, 1.5 inch threaded cylinder which passes down the depth of the sink (around 6 cm) and sticks out the bottom. in a house you screw your trap etc straight onto that. i need a right angle nozzle from that 1.5 inch fitting...

cheers!

Might be able to get a reducing elbow that'll need a bit less depth, BES should do them, if not brass maybe in iron or stainless:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1-2-BSP-FEMALE-X-3-4-BSP-FEMALE-REDUCING-ELBOW-GALVANISED-/321033371721?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item4abf148049

Might be a bit less prone to blockage than an equal elbow and reducer.

ETA: something like BES # 8686 or 8490

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete