uPVC Wheelhouse

Featured Posts

I'm thinking about ditching my pram hood and having a wheel house made but not in wood, in uPVC.

Apart from the "purest" element what are the drawbacks. I have seen it done on a barge and it looks pretty good and all folds down etc.

The back of my boat is very curved though

524581_3569055030879_893424397_n.jpg

Surely that lovely looking boat is crying out for a wooden one??

UPVC would just look 'wrong'.

It would have to be done in short straight sections around that curve and would end up looking like a modern conservatory on a house.

A wooden one would need probably need to be done the same or similar but would look miles better. We have a good few wide beams up here with them some of which don't fold (but as air draft is not such a problem it doesn't matter) and they look quite smart IMHO.

You could have a brown UPVC one if you wanted the wood look. UPVC will probably have to be double glazed because that's the way the plastic sections are. That means lots heavier than your present set-up. Can you ballast the bow back down or remove weight from the stern? The sealed-unit seals will be vulnerable to damage from boating (knocks and vibration) so expect misting to set in early.

The curve of the roof and the back are no problem, provided you get it made by a good company- I have a UPVC window with a curved top and have seen curved bow windows in UPVC so a curved base is doable. The glass will have to be flat (or eye-wateringly expensive) so lots of panes at the stern.

The company will need an accurate template of the curve- scribe bits of hardboard/ thin ply.

Not sure about the roof. If you have a clear roof it's going to be like steering in an oven on a sunny day- but good for tomatoes I suppose. A solid roof might need to be in sections so you can put it up without a crane. You will need some pretty rigid bits to keep the side in place.

Side entries will also need thought. Doors are heavy and expensive and mainly designed for houses. Curtains or side-sheets will be much the same as you have.

I reckon the hardest part will be finding someone who WANTS to do it and will take the necessary interest to get something that is as good and as neat as your present setup.

Good luck.

N

Surely that lovely looking boat is crying out for a wooden one??

UPVC would just look 'wrong'.

It would have to be done in short straight sections around that curve and would end up looking like a modern conservatory on a house.

A wooden one would need probably need to be done the same or similar but would look miles better. We have a good few wide beams up here with them some of which don't fold (but as air draft is not such a problem it doesn't matter) and they look quite smart IMHO.

I agree but wood needs constant attention. I think for the roof I would still use just canvas with SS support poles.

I would like to see photos of how others have done their WBNB wheelhouses.

Folding would be necessary I think just to maintain options.

I agree but wood needs constant attention. I think for the roof I would still use just canvas with SS support poles.

I would like to see photos of how others have done their WBNB wheelhouses.

Folding would be necessary I think just to maintain options.

A lot that we see don't attempt to follow the curve of the stern but cut across in a straight line leaving a small deck area outside the wheel house (sorry no pics.), the most obvious advantage being the ease of construction the most obvious disadvantage being the reduced internal space.

A lot that we see don't attempt to follow the curve of the stern but cut across in a straight line leaving a small deck area outside the wheel house (sorry no pics.), the most obvious advantage being the ease of construction the most obvious disadvantage being the reduced internal space.

Yes I want to retain the rear curve. I think its a nice feature, or and I have just spent a goodly sum and time on making storage seats and cushions.

Yes I want to retain the rear curve. I think its a nice feature, or and I have just spent a goodly sum and time on making storage seats and cushions.

As said before, if you want to follow the curve with windows it'll need very expensive custom-bent safety glass, not something you could replace in a hurry if it gets damaged, unless you use some sort of not-too-thick plastic or a 'piecewise-linear' approach (lots of narrow flat windows).

Tim

In fairness, our wooden wheelhouse needs incredibility little attention, bar the two times we have taken it down using a bridge, the only attention it gets is a coat of paint on the outside about every five years, and on the inside every other time.

Its now 22 years old, and if I'm honest has aged at least as well as I would expect 22yo uPVC to have aged.

The curves still present and issue, if only mainly for the cost of the glass, and even curving the wood is easy, but I would certainly say wood is an option.

Ours uses a mahoganoid timber for the frame, which is a fairly basic in construction, with conventional single glazed aluminium narrowboat/marine windows dropped into it. The finish is mahogany coloured 'Sadolin extra' , which while a fairly heathen thing to paint a decent grade of hardwood with, is durable/breathable/robust/forgiving/etc.

Even the second time we took it down with a bridge, its was only a days work to stick the lot back together with PU wood glue, sand it down, straighten and refit the window frames, replacing the one piece of failed glass with cut-while-you-wait laminated glass. Fit it back onto the boat, and give it a coat of paint. With a following coat (included in the one coat every 5 years figure) the following weekend.

Photos of the damage and repair seen in this album: http://www.spurstow.com/emilyanne.co.uk/gallerys/july2005/index.htm

Photos of the folding order* in this album: http://www.spurstow.com/emilyanne.co.uk/gallerys/doghouse/index.htm

*note that, annoyingly, its ordered 1,10,11,12,2,3,4,5 etc.

Daniel

Broken:

IMGP1735.JPGIMGP1741.JPG

Back up again pre-painting:

IMGP1807.JPG

Daniel

In fairness, our wooden wheelhouse needs incredibility little attention, bar the two times we have taken it down using a bridge, the only attention it gets is a coat of paint on the outside about every five years, and on the inside every other time.

Its now 22 years old, and if I'm honest has aged at least as well as I would expect 22yo uPVC to have aged.

The curves still present and issue, if only mainly for the cost of the glass, and even curving the wood is easy, but I would certainly say wood is an option.

Ours uses a mahoganoid timber for the frame, which is a fairly basic in construction, with conventional single glazed aluminium narrowboat/marine windows dropped into it. The finish is mahogany coloured 'Sadolin extra' , which while a fairly heathen thing to paint a decent grade of hardwood with, is durable/breathable/robust/forgiving/etc.

Even the second time we took it down with a bridge, its was only a days work to stick the lot back together with PU wood glue, sand it down, straighten and refit the window frames, replacing the one piece of failed glass with cut-while-you-wait laminated glass. Fit it back onto the boat, and give it a coat of paint. With a following coat (included in the one coat every 5 years figure) the following weekend.

Photos of the damage and repair seen in this album: http://www.spurstow.com/emilyanne.co.uk/gallerys/july2005/index.htm

Photos of the folding order* in this album: http://www.spurstow.com/emilyanne.co.uk/gallerys/doghouse/index.htm

*note that, annoyingly, its ordered 1,10,11,12,2,3,4,5 etc.

Daniel

Broken:

IMGP1735.JPGIMGP1741.JPG

Back up again pre-painting:

IMGP1807.JPG

Daniel

Thanks Dan

As said before, if you want to follow the curve with windows it'll need very expensive custom-bent safety glass, not something you could replace in a hurry if it gets damaged, unless you use some sort of not-too-thick plastic or a 'piecewise-linear' approach (lots of narrow flat windows).

Tim

I think it would be in straight sections as it folding curved glass would be inviting disaster.

What's wrong with the existing? Why not use it as is and enjoy your boating smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

It is good as it is I agree, and works well. Part of my enjoying the boat is working on it too.