Do many NB's have a sun roof.

loner

Featured Posts

I noticed an ad for sun roofs. Do many narrowboats have them. What are the pros and cons? I haven't noticed any here in the states but many of our boats have a large outside area where we can spend time. :lol:

Edited by DHutch

I noticed an ad for sun roofs. Do many narrowboats have them. What are the pros and cons? I haven't noticed any here in the states but many of our boats have a large outside area where we can spend time. :lol:

Condensation! It drips all over the floor from sun rooves.

Melaleuca does. They are about 4' by 18", wooden framed and double glazed, the top layer of glass is laminated. No problems with drips or condensation. There's one about the eating/sitting area and one above the galley and they give a wonderfully light boat even though we have small portholes.

You can see them (just) here. There's a pole rack and stuff resting on the front of the rear skylight and the back of the front one.

MP.

H410P1000438.JPG

.... do you mean using the roof as a sun deck ? There was a fairly radical design on a NB ... Whitfield ... which wasn't to many people's tastes but IIRC had a sundeck. Part of of the problem is climbing up onto the roof to get to it, and on a NB, there's not a lot of room once you're up there.

Edited by Graham!

Melaleuca does. They are about 4' by 18", wooden framed and double glazed, the top layer of glass is laminated. No problems with drips or condensation. There's one about the eating/sitting area and one above the galley and they give a wonderfully light boat even though we have small portholes.

You can see them (just) here. There's a pole rack and stuff resting on the front of the rear skylight and the back of the front one.

MP.

H410P1000438.JPG

And what looks like two huge chimneys. LOL

Quite a few '70s and '80s narrowboats were built with sliding sunroofs. I think that soem Jannel hire boats had them, and maybe those made by a builder called Sentinel.

We hired this in 1994 from Napton Narrowboats I think ?? She was called Gloucester Grebe. We did the Warwick Ring, and this was the only day it didn't actually rain... we had a sort of foggy drizzle instead. We never actually got to open it until the saturday morning on the way back to the boatyard. It leaked rainwater all over one of the beds and you wonder why there aren't many on the canals..

Edited by Pete of Ebor

We hired this in 1994 from Napton Narrowboats I think ?? She was called Gloucester Grebe. We did the Warwick Ring, and this was the only day it didn't actually rain... we had a sort of foggy drizzle instead. We never actually got to open it until the saturday morning on the way back to the boatyard. It leaked rainwater all over one of the beds and you wonder why there aren't many on the canals..

Sorry - don't know why the link doesn't seem to work properly: seems only to work when it feels like it !