37 replies to this topic

#1 twocvbloke

twocvbloke

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

Reading through the thread on the K&A lock times, I noticed that BW abandoned this stretch for some time, and I got thinking, are there any other canals in England they have abandoned, or are still abandoned, but still filled with water, that BW haven't even touched? I know there are some unnavigable canals looking at Jim Shead's site, but are there any others not listed there? :lol:

Edited by twocvbloke, 06 September 2008 - 08:52 AM.

#2 fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts
  • Boat Name:Fuzzy Duck

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

There's the Melton and Oakham.

This is still navigable in portable boats as tts a canalised river, the locks need rebuilding and the weirs raised.
Commodore
Anarchists Boat Club.

#3 fender

fender

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

There's the Melton and Oakham.

This is still navigable in portable boats as tts a canalised river, the locks need rebuilding and the weirs raised.

I'm not sure you are right there, the Melton Mowbray navigation is a canalised river (and still navigable with canoes), and then the Oakham which is of course a true canal and not navigable in any way?

Other possibilities:

North Walsham/Dilham

Dingwall

Coombe Hill Canal

#4 Richard Fairhurst

Richard Fairhurst

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Boat Name:Hagley / Iago Prytherch

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

I'm not sure you are right there, the Melton Mowbray navigation is a canalised river (and still navigable with canoes), and then the Oakham which is of course a true canal and not navigable in any way?

Indeed. A short stretch of the Oakham near Ashwell would theoretically be navigable by canoes - not sure the fishermen who maintain it (very well) would be too chuffed, though!

The Melton Mowbray Navigation's an absolutely gorgeous river, though - it'll be delightful when it's restored. The first step gets underway next year, I believe: Sustrans are rebuilding the entrance bridge at Syston (currently a low walkway) to give navigable headroom.

Elsewhere, there's a few isolated bits of the Wyrley & Essington that are still in water but unnavigable.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst, 06 September 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#5 alan_fincher

alan_fincher

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,858 posts
  • Boat Name:"Sickle" and "Chalice"

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Wendover arm of the GU, at the Wendover end.

The canal is being restored, and a short extension past Tringford has taken it under a reconstructed bridge to a proper winding hole, making navigation of the open bit far easier.

There is then a stretch that has been de-watered for years, (being worked on).

After that it's in water.

We are boating now with just "Sickle".,
We had a great time at Audlem for the Festival of Transport at the weekend, (Sat 26th to Sun 27th July).

Tuesday evening we are now back at Brewood on the "Shroppie", after a long day, where we have made up a fair bit of the lost time we were running with yesterday.

Planned next event.......

Sat 23rd - Mon  25th Aug - Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Narrow boats SICKLE and CHALICE blog

#6 fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts
  • Boat Name:Fuzzy Duck

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

Sorry

I lump the whole lot together as 1 waterway, ergo "the melton and Oakham" The others are more correct.

Richard is absoluetely correct it's a fabulous navigation, which given the fact its still in water suprises me it's not already been reopened.

I fully intend to navigate the full length in my little inflatable next weekend complete with camera.
Commodore
Anarchists Boat Club.

#7 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

The Grantham Canal should have been reopened years ago. Surely one of the simplest restos?

In theory the Brownsover arm of the N Oxford, running to Dodford, is still navigable but BW, in their wisdom, have stanked it off.

...you actually are one of the more sane/balanced amongst us...

I'm still going to belt you one, its only fair !

#8 fender

fender

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

The Grantham Canal should have been reopened years ago. Surely one of the simplest restos?

In theory the Brownsover arm of the N Oxford, running to Dodford, is still navigable but BW, in their wisdom, have stanked it off.

Can someone inform me of the direction of this thread? is it only about abandoned, and unrestored waterways?

The Oakham would come under that.

Or is it about canals that are abandoned but currently under some form of restoration?

The Grantham would be under that category.

If its a free for all let me know! :lol:

#9 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

Well, as BW policy seems to be steering away from restoration and more towards asset stripping, I wouldn't put money on any ongoing restoration being completed.

#10 andywatson

andywatson

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Boat Name:Primus

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Reading through the thread on the K&A lock times, I noticed that BW abandoned this stretch for some time, and I got thinking, are there any other canals in England they have abandoned, or are still abandoned, but still filled with water, that BW haven't even touched? I know there are some unnavigable canals looking at Jim Shead's site, but are there any others not listed there? :lol:

#

How about the Nutbrook Canal which linked the Nutbrook Colliery (amongst others I think) to the Erewash Canal at Stanton ironworks.
A few weeks ago part of it was still in water, as is the feeder reservoir.
Plenty of stonework still exists also.

There is an entry in wikipedia for those interested.

#11 John Orentas

John Orentas

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

I believe that there are far more abandoned and/or disused canals than any of us might imagine, certainly in my very local area the canal system tended to be based on the mining industry, when the coal ran out so did the canal that served it..

It wasn't really BW that did the deed though, most were gone long before a nationalised canal system was ever considered, it was financial expediency and general apathy that saw an end to them, they just suffered a slow ignominious death.

Edited by John Orentas, 06 September 2008 - 01:57 PM.

John Squeers.

"There are times when I just sits and thinks and there are times when I just sits".

#12 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

Abedare Canal
Adelphi Canal
Adur Navigation
Andover Canal
Ashburnham Canal
Bedale Beck
Bishop Monkton Canal
Bond End Canal
Bottisham Lode
Bourne Eau
Bowser's Canal
Bude Canal
Bungay Navigation
Bure Navigation
Caistor Canal
Cann Quarry Canal
Car Dyke
Carlisle Canal
Cassington Cut
Chard Canal
Cinderford Canal
Charnwood Forest Canal
Comstall Navigation
Croydon Canal
Cumberland Market Branch Canal
Cyfartha Canal

Bored now but will carry on later, if there's a demand....

#13 Richard Fairhurst

Richard Fairhurst

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Boat Name:Hagley / Iago Prytherch

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

The original criterion was "any other canals in England they have abandoned, or are still abandoned, but still filled with water, that BW haven't even touched".

Think that excludes most of your list, Carl - AFAIK the Aberdare's entirely infilled; same for the Adelphi; the Adur's a river, not a canal; small bit of the Andover in water, so you can have that; not sure about the Ashburnham; Bedale Beck is a river; Bishop Monkton - hm, maybe, not sure it necessarily merits the full "canal" title; Bond End Canal - well I moor on the bit that's still in water :lol: so that doesn't count as entirely abandoned; and so on...

#14 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

But the bigger the list, the more we can nit-pick.

#15 twocvbloke

twocvbloke

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

But the bigger the list, the more we can nit-pick.

Who's got nits??? :lol:

#16 carlt

carlt

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Who's got nits??? :lol:

Not me. My boat's in saltwater......

I've got crabs!

#17 twocvbloke

twocvbloke

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Not me. My boat's in saltwater......

I've got crabs!

At least you can eat crabs (the salty variety!!!)... :lol:

#18 Hairy-Neil

Hairy-Neil

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

Car Dyke

There is a school of thought that says the Car/Carr Dyke (you see it spelt both ways) was never used as a navigation in Roman times, however, there is a short length of it, that is navigable today and connected to the national system too as the Sleaford Navigation/Kyne Eau uses its course for perhaps 1/3 mile or so about a mile to the west of South Kyme.

See:- http://www.streetmap...mapp=newmap.srf

It's the straight length that runs south east from Ferry Farm, Ewerby Waithe Common. Where the Kyme Eau veers off to the east towards South Kyme, there was once a lock dropping down here, from whence the Carr Dyke was navigable to its junction with the Heckington Eau. The navigation continued via the Head Dike and Skerth Drain to make a junction with the South Forty Foot Drain, near Swineshead Bridge.

BTW, I was in Boston the other day and was able to examine the works in progress to reinstate the lock at Black Sluice, linking the South Forty Foot Drain to the Tidal Witham. The long term aim is to make a non tidal link between the Witham at Boston, linking in with the rivers Glen and Welland and eventually via a new cut to the Nene at Peterborough.

Work started last October, the chamber should be complete and the gates being fitted this month and is due for completion by december
Sleep is overrated...I can do it with my eyes closed...

#19 Bazza2

Bazza2

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • Boat Name:La Toc

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:47 PM

There is a school of thought that says the Car/Carr Dyke (you see it spelt both ways) was never used as a navigation in Roman times, however, there is a short length of it, that is navigable today and connected to the national system too as the Sleaford Navigation/Kyne Eau uses its course for perhaps 1/3 mile or so about a mile to the west of South Kyme.

See:- http://www.streetmap...mapp=newmap.srf

It's the straight length that runs south east from Ferry Farm, Ewerby Waithe Common. Where the Kyme Eau veers off to the east towards South Kyme, there was once a lock dropping down here, from whence the Carr Dyke was navigable to its junction with the Heckington Eau. The navigation continued via the Head Dike and Skerth Drain to make a junction with the South Forty Foot Drain, near Swineshead Bridge.

BTW, I was in Boston the other day and was able to examine the works in progress to reinstate the lock at Black Sluice, linking the South Forty Foot Drain to the Tidal Witham. The long term aim is to make a non tidal link between the Witham at Boston, linking in with the rivers Glen and Welland and eventually via a new cut to the Nene at Peterborough.

Work started last October, the chamber should be complete and the gates being fitted this month and is due for completion by december

I'm pretty certain that (a) Carr Dyke is on the map at Timberland (running from the top of Timberland Delph north wards) and again possibly at Dunston Fen - if its the same one as you refer to and heading towards Lincoln and also supposedly Roman I wonder if it ever linked up with the Fosse Dyke? - I'll get my map out soon and have a look

Barry

I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I,
and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped

Fritz Perls - 'The Gestalt Prayer'

#20 Hairy-Neil

Hairy-Neil

Long Standing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

I wonder if it ever linked up with the Fosse Dyke? -

From my understanding it ran from Washingborough, so probably not. Various lengths are incorporated into the current dykes that criss cross this area and retain their original drainage function, notably between Washingborough and North Kyme where it has very much a contour canal feel to it. The further south you go the more truncated it becomes. The diverted or abandoned lengths have often filled in or otherwise obliterated.

It's mostly marked on the OS Landranger series maps, often as "Car Dyke (course of)"

Edited by Hairy-Neil, 07 September 2008 - 07:58 AM.

Sleep is overrated...I can do it with my eyes closed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users