residential moorings?

matrix

Featured Posts

i did a search on this but couldn't see this question asked before

but apologies if it has been

can someone explain the difference between a "residential" mooring and a "normal" mooring ( in laymans terms )

IE do you have to pay council tax etc with residential ??

and if you intend to cruise a lot is there any point in it ?

sorry to keep asking daft questions

just Ive been round a few local marinas this weekend and if you mention "living on board" or "residential" they look at you as if you have leprosy!!!!

I was moored at Napton for a few months and their policy was to turn a "blind eye" to liveaboards as they weren't licenced to have them. Their only sipulation was that you couldn't receive post, otherwise they just considered that you were visiting your boat a lot. Luckily I'm now on a BW residential mooring and no-one's mentioned anything about council tax. As far as I'm aware, if your boat has an engine, you're exempt. Your waste disposal/water etc. is paid for in the mooring fee.

i did a search on this but couldn't see this question asked before

but apologies if it has been

can someone explain the difference between a "residential" mooring and a "normal" mooring ( in laymans terms )

IE do you have to pay council tax etc with residential ??

and if you intend to cruise a lot is there any point in it ?

sorry to keep asking daft questions

just Ive been round a few local marinas this weekend and if you mention "living on board" or "residential" they look at you as if you have leprosy!!!!

Yes, "residential" means that you will use the boat on the mooring as your "sole or main residence". It all comes down to where you sleep most nights.

As far as I'm aware, if your boat has an engine, you're exempt. Your waste disposal/water etc. is paid for in the mooring fee.

I wish! Our mooring fee on an approved residential mooring at the Marina hasn't excluded us from Council Tax. The marina doesn't provide waste disposal facilities, nor any way of storing rubbish for council collection: we have to store it on board and go to the local waste centre each week, where we also do our recycling. Water is included in our mooring fee, so no water rates.

And last time we cruised we certainly had an engine.

I wish! Our mooring fee on an approved residential mooring at the Marina hasn't excluded us from Council Tax. The marina doesn't provide waste disposal facilities, nor any way of storing rubbish for council collection: we have to store it on board and go to the local waste centre each week, where we also do our recycling. Water is included in our mooring fee, so no water rates.

And last time we cruised we certainly had an engine.

Must admit, I felt a bit unsure of that one as I typed, but was sure that it would be confirmed or denied pretty soon.

On the original point, if you're going to cruise so often you don't want a "home port", then you're going to be a CC'er. This means you can't be friends with anyone on a permanent mooring. They'll throw rotten fruit at you, or something. I think it's a waterways bye-law. :rolleyes:

I was moored at Napton for a few months and their policy was to turn a "blind eye" to liveaboards as they weren't licenced to have them. Their only sipulation was that you couldn't receive post, otherwise they just considered that you were visiting your boat a lot. Luckily I'm now on a BW residential mooring and no-one's mentioned anything about council tax. As far as I'm aware, if your boat has an engine, you're exempt. Your waste disposal/water etc. is paid for in the mooring fee.

Nope.

The council tax question is the subject of MUCH misinformation!

Broadly speaking;

1. If the boat is not your main or only residence, you are not liable for council tax (and that includes various attempts by council numpties to charge it as a second home)
  2. If the boat is your main or only residence, and you have a specific allocated mooring that you have exclusive occupation of, the you are liable to council tax on the value of the mooring (not the value of the boat)
  3. If the boat is your main or only residence, but the mooring provider is entitled to require you to move as he wishes, and actually exercises his right to move boats around, you aren't liable.

The services that you do or do not get or that you pay somebody else for don't enter into it.

Yes, "residential" means that you will use the boat on the mooring as your "sole or main residence". It all comes down to where you sleep most nights.

So you think you have found a loophole whereby you can lead a parasitic lifestyle living off the rest of society. I would not boast about it too loudly if I were you. We have seen on a previous thread that we have our fair share of snitchers on this forum and your location is there for all to see and on all your posts.

Edited by John Orentas

Must admit, I felt a bit unsure of that one as I typed, but was sure that it would be confirmed or denied pretty soon.

On the original point, if you're going to cruise so often you don't want a "home port", then you're going to be a CC'er. This means you can't be friends with anyone on a permanent mooring. They'll throw rotten fruit at you, or something. I think it's a waterways bye-law. :rolleyes:

LOL

well I'm used to that sort of treatment from the missus / kids

anyway i got broad shoulders!!

So you think you have found a loophole whereby you can lead a parasitic lifestyle living off the rest of society. I would not boast about it too loudly if I were you. We have seen on a previous thread that we have our fair share of snitchers on this forum and your location is there for all to see and on all your posts.

No, I know what the law is on this point.

I do NOT live on the boat. I live in a house nearby. Most weeks I will sleep in a bed at that house from Sunday night through to Thursday night. I will sleep on the boat on Friday and Saturday.

Some weeks (less than once a month) I will stay down one night in the week, some weeks I will only spend one night on board at the weekend.

I pay council tax in respect of the house that is my main residence.

So, perhaps you'd like to think again about your rather silly little rant about parasitic lifestyles?

Dont get John started about liveaboards :rolleyes:

By the way how much time can you actually spend aboard a boat before you are calssed as residential. In a previous post I mentioned a collegue of mine who lives in a hotel six nights of the week - is his residence the hotel as he sleeps their most of the time? Seems to be a grey area - no formal definition of residential!?