Where to go....

Mrs Panda

Featured Posts

As from next Saturday we have two weeks of sheer bliss on the boat, (counting days and minutes until we are there!) and I have been pondering where to go. The boat is moored at the Venetian Marina by Cholmondeston lock.

We have done the Llangollen and we would be going in the height of the season. The beginning of the season we went up to Ellesmere port - don't want to do that again!

What does any one think of the four Counties ring or the Cheshire ring. I have two willing crew Mr Panda (well mostly willing especially if there is a good pint of real ale somewhere in the day - or more!!!) and my youngest step son also bribed by drink.

Or has anyone got any favourite places they would suggest.

Have been trying to get my head round this for the last month, any suggestions would be great.

Mrs Panda :)

As from next Saturday we have two weeks of sheer bliss on the boat, (counting days and minutes until we are there!) and I have been pondering where to go. The boat is moored at the Venetian Marina by Cholmondeston lock.

We have done the Llangollen and we would be going in the height of the season. The beginning of the season we went up to Ellesmere port - don't want to do that again!

What does any one think of the four Counties ring or the Cheshire ring. I have two willing crew Mr Panda (well mostly willing especially if there is a good pint of real ale somewhere in the day - or more!!!) and my youngest step son also bribed by drink.

Or has anyone got any favourite places they would suggest.

Have been trying to get my head round this for the last month, any suggestions would be great.

Mrs Panda :)

4 counties plus the montgomery

I think the Cheshire ring is still closed.

You could go up to the T&M and do the Macc/Upper Peak forest to Bugsworth & then the Caldon.

How about a lazy time down the Shroppie and back, with maybe a run down the S&W to Kinver if your feeling full of energy?? Market Drayton by Tuesday to visit the Market on Wednesday, loads of great pubs.........The one thing I miss now with being 'isolated' is the Shropshire Union, such a different canal it seems on the way back, as well......

Yeah, now we're planning to do the cheshire ring this way, anticlockwise, currently at anderton, moving odd weekends only.

- We where going to do the rochdale/hudderfield, but times a bit tight, standedge cant be done at weekends, and the ashtonstoppage further prevented it at the time.

Maybe next year.

Daniel

Yeah, now we're planning to do the cheshire ring this way, anticlockwise, currently at anderton, moving odd weekends only.

- We where going to do the rochdale/hudderfield, but times a bit tight, standedge cant be done at weekends, and the ashtonstoppage further prevented it at the time.

Maybe next year.

Daniel

Give us a wave when you pass on the lower PF.

How about a lazy time down the Shroppie and back, with maybe a run down the S&W to Kinver if your feeling full of energy?? Market Drayton by Tuesday to visit the Market on Wednesday, loads of great pubs.........The one thing I miss now with being 'isolated' is the Shropshire Union, such a different canal it seems on the way back, as well......

Think we have decided to do this...Shroppie - Kinver, thanks for the suggestion.

We start on Saturday for two weeks from Venitian marina and back. So if anyone sees Ellesmere anywhere on route. Please say hello, come and have a chat or just wave. Would be great to meet at least one member on our route.

Can any one recommend any pubs along this route, will be going to the Shropie fly, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Mrs Panda

Think we have decided to do this...Shroppie - Kinver, thanks for the suggestion.

We start on Saturday for two weeks from Venitian marina and back. So if anyone sees Ellesmere anywhere on route. Please say hello, come and have a chat or just wave. Would be great to meet at least one member on our route.

Can any one recommend any pubs along this route, will be going to the Shropie fly, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Mrs Panda

I'll keep my eyes out for you, I'm moored at Norbury.

Pubs on the canal:

I'd skip The Shroppie Fly and go to The Bridge just up the way.

The Wharf Tavern, keep going. The food is rubbish but if you're just stopping for a pint its not so bad.

The Wharf Inn, Its ok but it'll probably be closed. It always is for some reason.

The Anchor at High Offey, just before Norbury Junction. No food or children but good japes, if you get there at a weekend evening theres a good chance something will be going on there like a folk band or such like.

The Junction, definately keep going, even the beer is dire.

The Navigation and The Boat at Gnosall are both really good pubs for both beer and food, try one on the way there and the other on the way back. Recommended.

Hartley Arms at Wheaton Aston is a fine eating pub, but be there early as this is a very busy place. Recommended.

The Bridge at Brewood is ok ,had both good and bad in there. Whatever you do dont get an indian meal at Brewood it has to be the worse indian resturant known to man. Yuk.

Theres quite a few others down the S&W, but I highly recommend The Green Man at Swindon, excellent food, value and blimmin good beer as well. Worth a trip.

Off the canal theres plenty at Market Drayton, Brewood and Compton. The chinese at Compton is one of the very best.

Pubs on the canal:

Many thanks for the info just what we were looking for... have printed it and will be taking it with me.

Will look out for your boat too and will say hello if your in.

Mrs Panda

I'll keep my eyes out for you, we are moving our mooring down to Norbury this coming October so we are to become neighbours in a boaty sort of way. We are aiming to take a leisurely trip down from Anderton and sample one or two of the hostelries on the way and arriving on or around the 18/19 October. Maybe you could join us for a sampler when we get down on your patch? :)

We were down there about a fortnight ago and sampled a lot of the pubs you mention and enjoyed most of them, although I admit we didn't eat in any of them. We were dissapointed in the Bridge at Audlem were they served us a dodgy pint of Pedigree but I suppose any pub can have an off day, the staff though were superb and most helpfull. The Anchor was superb, I have a predilection for cider and was amazed to find they had 7 different ones on, the only problem is I cannot remember which I liked the best after sampling them all so I may have to go back for a second testing.

It is the kind of pub that is almost extinct and certainly worth a visit because one day it will be turned into another soup in the basket lager emporium :wub: