Keeping stuff in the engine bay

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

Our new 57' x 10'6" home is in build now! Hooray! Very exciting :D

I am trying to work out where to keep the stuff that we currently have in our shed - i.e. tools, various motorbike-fixing stuff and supplies, flowerpots, etc. I have had a look at the engine bay under the deckboards of a boat the same dimensions as ours and there is a lot of room in there. I'm thinking about putting up some shelves and hooks in there and storing our shed-things inside. Are there any issues with this? Should one keep things in there or is there some reason why it is not a good idea. It seems a shame to waste such a cavernous space when so much stuff could be stored in there.

The other question I have for all you clever people out there is this - does anybody know where to get hold of either a: very strong magnets, or b: those sucker-thingies (very technical I know) that window-fitters use to hold big panes of glass? You see, I think these two methods could be the best way of putting up shelves and hanging things from the walls of the engine bay.

There are two main things you need to remember before filling the engine 'ole with all those bits and pieces. First, from time to time you will need access to the space to carry out engine, battery and weed hatch maintenance. It would be a right pain to have to unload the 'ole before doing an oil change. Second, you need to ensure that anything stored is stored securely. You will not appreciate having to recover bits and pieces from the engine bilge or having to deal with the problems created by a jammed alternator belt.

Could you ask the builder (at a price of course - isn't everything!) to weld some angle to top side of the swim and under the deck? You could use this to fix cupboards. Personally, I wouldn't trust magnets as a fixing device except for bits of paper to the fridge.

yeah, i think you could keep some stuff in there. But i would try to keep it to a minimum, but you could deffonatly have a small ( 18*24*8inch) cupboard to keep some tools in, but you have to leave enough room around the engine/weed hatch, and make sure no stuff can fall in the bildge!

- Also, i agree Paul, if you wanting to put anything up, you ort to get some angle iron weld on.

- Anyone got a photo of an engine bay in a barge. (im trying hard to invsage what it would look like, but im starting from think in of what the space looks like in a narrowboat without an engine.) Still can imagen much room?

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but I presume that you are moving from a shore abode to a boat ?

If so, a lot of stuff will have to go ! :D

Its amazing how much "stuff" we accumulate and I believe that there is a direct correlation between how much space we have and how much we allow ourselves to possess.

We have no spare space in our engine 'ole (trad) and we keep all our outside bits like water hose, pots of paint, spare ropes, tools, anchor chain, solid fuel etc in the bow locker and under the seats in the cratch (under lock and key).

The good thing is you won't need that patio furniture, pasting table, ladders, etc. from the shed, anymore !!!

Widebeam boats have a bit of room over the swims, but I have never thought they were that roomy.

Most boats that I have seen just keep some spare lube oil for the stern gland, the odd spanner, a dipstick for the fuel tank and a cloth in there.

I would guess that the main concern is ensuring that nothing can vibrate loose from its place and make contact with drive belts or prop shaft while in motion.

Good luck with the new build.

Best Regards

Mark

P.S isn't Tarifa a point in the Straits of Gibraltar ?

It is as much to do with life-style as much as anything, I don't live on my boat but I still maintain a minimalist attitude.

My three bedroom boring semi has two bedrooms and a garage full of junk, but the boat contains nothing but essentials, more difficult though more important if you live on board.

If it is not essential, chuck it out. The engine area is no exception don't let it turn into a junk space, tools, genuine spares (not might come in handy!) maintenance equipment, (no half empty paint tins), spare ropes, fenders, anchor etc.

And yes, hooks, shelves and fixed stowage boxes, a place for everything. Don't like the idea of magnets and suckers. Keep things off horizontal surfaces to prevent water collecting below.

Don't worry about unnecessary stuff - I have absolutely nothing that I don't regularly use. However, I do a lot of things so I need a lot of equipment. Regular surfing, kiting, motorcycle and car maintenance, snowboarding, windsurfing, etc. all require a fair bit of kit hence the question about putting things in the engine bay. Thanks for the advice though.

The other idea for storage for this equipment is to build a couple of ply storage boxes on the roof. The idea is to make one which measures 9' long by 4' wide to hold the surfing kit and another 5' x 4' one to hold the other equipment. Not sure yet how to make them secure though. Anybody out there had much success with roof storage boxes?

The only thing you gota watch is how much these boxes increase your air draught, becuase you dont wannt to have to take them off the first bridge you come to!

- if the only about a foot high, and in the centre of the boat you should be ok for all most everything, but even still there are a few tunnels they they will need taking off for.

- There are tunnel we can get under with our funnel on (folled down) and it has to be unbolted and placed on the foredeck!

Daniel

I have seen smart looking storage boxes on the top of narrowboats but, generally, they are fairly shallow to avoid the air draught problems Daniel pointed out. The best ones have waterproof covers made of the sort of material you would use for cratch covers held down by that elastic rope used to hold boat covers (Is there a technical term I should be using?).

But I go with John on this - don't go mad on them or you'll spoil the simple lines of the boat and they'll end up like his (and my) garage!

And where are you going to find the time for surfing, kiting, motorcycle and car maintenance, snowboarding, windsurfing, etc. if you are going to take boating seriously?

Good luck with the build!

If you're going to have a permanaent mooring in Bath, then I suppose when you go surfing, etc. the boat will be at the home base.

In your situation I would hire a small storage facility in the Bath area for all the non-boaty stuff that you don't need for day-to-day living or for cruising.

If you're going to have a permanaent mooring in Bath, then I suppose when you go surfing, etc. the boat will be at the home base.

In your situation I would hire a small storage facility in the Bath area for all the non-boaty stuff that you don't need for day-to-day living or for cruising.

Chris, I have had a little look into storage facilities and the prices are horrendous! The cheapest I've found want £60 for what is essentially a glorified locker! You see, it has to be 10ft long to hold my board. Even without the board, the cheapest they can offer is £35 for a small locker. Ridiculous. There's no way I'm paying that kind of money just to put my kit away.

No, roof storage is the way to go and I think I will just build a couple of low (1'6") long boxes out of ply. Not quite sure how to make them waterproof yet. I was thinking of using roofing felt and leaving a little overhang for drainage.

Chris, I have had a little look into storage facilities and the prices are horrendous!

Its worth trying to get hold of a council garage/lockup. You will need access to a local address but once you get it your laughing. I managed to get one in Reading (although it was more straightforward as I was actually renting a flat at the time). One tip is to ring them enough that they keep you in mind and to go around looking at the main sites and ring them up informing them about damaged/outof use ones. Its probably a question of luck but I got one within a month, and I know someone who got one in a different area reasonably quickly (although he had to work a bit harder at it than I did).

Anyway just a suggestion ...

Also to add - I've still got that lockup and have been living on the boat for 2 years now so you don't need to have an address for ever. Also seeing as its the council rather than some manic credit control agency/company I wouldn't be surprised if one of those mailbox direct addresses (flat 1,000,000 , 12a small lane, ...) would be enough for the form and correspondence.

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by gringogordo

No, roof storage is the way to go and I think I will just build a couple of low (1'6") long boxes out of ply. Not quite sure how to make them waterproof yet. I was thinking of using roofing felt and leaving a little overhang for drainage.

.... or a friend's garage?

boxes : maybe they don't need to be fully waterproof, but ventilated instead. I would think along the lines of a crate-type construction (slats with open slots) for the bottom and sides, with a PVC tarpaulin fitted on hoops over the top, brought right down to the cabin top.

Hmm... two bits of good advice there.

The council garages/lockups idea sounds like a good one - I'll have to get on to the council about that one. How much did it cost you (if you don't mind me asking)?

And the idea of slatted sides to the boxes might be a good one too. However, I was thinking of building a solid box as I can then lock it - just really as a theft deterrent rather than theft-proofing, but I don't want people walking along, lifting the tarp, and nicking my beloved surfboard!

Hmm... two bits of good advice there.

I'll have to get on to the council about that one. How much did it cost you (if you don't mind me asking)?

Itsa about £30 a month. They do vary though even within Reading so they probably vary from Borough to borough to but I'd be surprised if it got to more than £10/week.

Back to the original topic of keeping stuff in the engine bay:

does anybody know the logistics of welding things onto the inner walls of the hull or superstructure? I'm just thinking that if you weld something on the inside (like angle irons for shelving/cupboards) the paint on the outside would blister and melt off. Is that right?

Not only will it damage the paint but there will inevitably some distortion of the steel, not to bad low down where the hull is painted with bitumastic, you can clean it up and touch up. Where there is gloss paint on the outside the weld will always show so it is not advised.

Often you can fix onto existing structures and framing inside the hull by drilling and fixing with nuts and bolts or drilling and tapping. Obviously don't penetrate the hull. Remember you will need to allow easy maintenance access to the engine, transmission and other ancillary components.

Have you got space for a utilities room inside the boat, that is a better option for storage, leave the engine space for the engine.

Surely this is a fire hazard? You wouldnt put stuff like you suggest in your car engine area eh?

I would suggest you check the BSC rules first. I dont know but I'll bet there is something in there about storing stuff in the engine compartment.

Just had a great idea. We need to get an allotment when we move onto our boat as we are keen vegetable-growers. Judging by the ones around here that I have looked at, it should be possible to erect a small shed to keep tools and equipment in. That would mean keeping storage on the boat to a minimum...