Victron Centaur IP20 Battery Charger 12V/100A, mains power requirements

Clodi

Featured Posts

Victron Centaur IP20 Battery Charger 12V/100A, mains power requirements

I have purchased  a Victron Centaur IP20 Battery Charger 12V/100A/90-265Vac - 3 Output mainly to use if ever I am on shore-power.

My question is what size generator would I require to make it worthwhile 'plugging it in' if you know what I mean?. At present I only have a small Machine Mart Clark brand pure sine wave jobbi for running power tools etc

It was an eBay purchase at a Very reasonable price & is practically brand-new.

Can you alter the power the charger outputs? On my Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 60A, I can select 50% and 25%, (maybe 75%), so it can be restricted to 30A or even 15A.

If not, you would probably need a continuous 1600W genny, like the Honda EU22i, or the cheaper Kipor, or similar.

How many W is your genny... it must have some kind of indication on it, or a model number?

ETA The Honda is actually rated at 1800W, which I think is the continuous rating?  Whatever the case, you probably wont be charging at 100A for very long, (you might be, but probably wont be :) )

Edited by Richard10002

TBH I'm not really sure about my genny, it's only a cheapie 1100 watt This one I think. I'm not on the boat at the moment.

I've never really thought about using a genny to charge the batteries and I've always wondered why I see people running generators on the bank.

If I were to 'upgrade' my genny what spec should I Look for, mind you I don't fancy spending a fortune it'll have to be another eBay bargain