Ancient Gardner starter motor

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

A few months ago a mechanic brought in a starter from a Gardner engined boat. I rebuilt it and it came back after about a month full of seawater. The engine was standing in a foot of water and the flywheel was throwing it up to where it got into the starter through the hollow drive shaft. Water being thrown up from the flywheel is a common cause of starters failing and the mechanic had already given his customer a heads up on that and now it's been reinforced b a letter from me. Anyway, I had to rebuild it again and I thought folk might be interested to see these pictures.

The reason I thought it might be interesting is that this is not the usual CAV starter but an old Simms SG series co-axial machine and it must be thirty years since I've had the back off one of these. No parts are available so I had to make a few things like sleeving the drive end bush for instance.

WP_20180906_15_33_05_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20180906_15_33_11_Pro[1].jpg

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Sir Nibble said:

Not really a big deal blowing out a pilot light jet. Once you find the bugger.

Problem will come back. When it does, boil the jet in vinegar.

Make sure you don't get fooled into buying the 'non-brewed condiment' chip shops palm you orf with....