Droitwich Barge Canal

Drayke

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It's less daft than all the boats that can fit through the marina entrance but never do. Isn't there a very expensive GU remake in BW blue and yellow colours and a light blue cabin there? Never seen that out on the canal.

I think we said hello to each other just before you left Netherwich Basin.

JP

Yes, I think we did. I quite liked Netherwich Basin, free secure moorings,water point,rubbish disposal ,nearby local shops, what more could one ask for? (well perhaps an Elsan Point:huh:)

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The wide beam is in it's rightful environment, it's floating on water;). When I moored in Droitwich Spa last month I spoke with the lady on board as I passed on my way to my mooring, and the boat was indeed (obviously) craned in (I think I made some comment about how tight it must have been coming through the marina entrance off the canal:rolleyes:). She has it there because it is the most convenient mooring for her and she likes the marina, I can't think of any better reason for putting a boat there. It's her boat to do as she wishes with it.  It is no dafter than the boat on the South Oxford moored in a puddle in the middle of a field alongside the canal (assuming it's still there).

I'll reply for the purposes of the discussion, but I should declare that I'm not really hard over on the subject an it's certainly not something I'd feel strongly enough to argue about.

I probably do have this rather old fashioned idea that boats are for boating and that the navigable inland waterways are for navigating first and foremost, so anything undermining that premis, it seems to me, could be the thin end of a wedge. I have nothing against houseboats as long as they 'fit' their environment, both in terms of size and appropriate design, but doesn't there have to be a limit?  What if someone in a superyacht or a rusty ex Russian factory trawler takes a fancy to a similar site and can afford to take out half the marina?  Is that incongruity still OK?  Is the only limitation still as you suggest that "It's her boat to do as she wishes with it".  Where do you draw that line if it's not at narrow beam boats for narrow beam navigations?

(Actually, the boat at Droitwich is probably the worst example we could use in such a discussion  - it's a beautifully kept boat which fits quite nicely into a berth which wouldn't accommodate 2 narrowboats anyway) :)

11 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yes, I think we did. I quite liked Netherwich Basin, free secure moorings,water point,rubbish disposal ,nearby local shops, and a pub, what more could one ask for? (well perhaps an Elsan Point:huh:)

Edited that for you ?