Diesel on the T&M and Staffs & Worcs

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

My understanding is that it was motivated by truck companies who complained about unfair competition from the large barges that operate on the continent. At least that argument will barely fly here post Brexit.  There has to be at least one plus to come out of the sorry fiasco but I'd not bet on anyone getting even that bit right.

That doesn't add up.

From Article 14 of Council Directive 2003/96/EC :

1. In addition to the general provisions set out in Directive 92/12/EEC on exempt uses of taxable products, and without prejudice to other Community provisions, Member States shall exempt the following from taxation under conditions which they shall lay down for the purpose of ensuring the correct and straightforward application of such exemptions and of preventing any evasion, avoidance or abuse:  ...

(c) energy products supplied for use as fuel for the purposes of navigation within Community waters (including fishing), other than private pleasure craft, and electricity produced on board a craft. For the purposes of this Directive ‘private pleasure craft’ shall mean any craft used by its owner or the natural or legal person who enjoys its use either through hire or through any other means, for other than commercial purposes and in particular other than for the carriage of passengers or goods or for the supply of services for consideration or for the purposes of public authorities.

(my bold) Commercial craft are exempt from the higher rates of duty, and can use rebated fuel throughout the EU.

12 hours ago, Foggy said:

Halsall’s base rate is currently 79ppl not 87ppl

Well I'd love that to be true as it would've saved me about £17.50 on the 175 litres I took,  but it wasn't yesterday or again today as I chatted with them as we all went through Etruria - unless, of course, it wasn't actually Halsall! If it wasn't, they'd just blacked down on the Weaver same as Halsall and they're plying (what's left of) the four counties ring. Happy to be corrected - and I'd be even happier to be refunded about £17.50! :D

23 hours ago, Foggy said:

Halsall’s base rate is currently 79ppl not 87ppl

Note: the price is indeed 79ppl and not 87ppl as I posted.

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well I'd love that to be true as it would've saved me about £17.50 on the 175 litres I took,  but it wasn't yesterday or again today as I chatted with them as we all went through Etruria - unless, of course, it wasn't actually Halsall! If it wasn't, they'd just blacked down on the Weaver same as Halsall and they're plying (what's left of) the four counties ring. Happy to be corrected - and I'd be even happier to be refunded about £17.50! :D

Correction: the above is my error. I can only put it down to my brain overheating, and I apologise unreservedly. I believe I owe a lovely crew a pint!

I have submitted 79ppl to the diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk fuel price database website.

The core message (despite the fact I got the price wrong) remains - Support the fuel boat!

On 20/07/2018 at 08:27, nicknorman said:

We have visited twice. Once to look at buying a boat. We were made to feel fairly unwelcome, having arrived by boat they made a fuss about where we could moor even though no-one was on or wanting the service area pontoon (which is badly designed in terms of getting on and off it). In the end we were grudgingly allowed. But we then waited around for 30 mins to see someone about a boat, no-one was interested in us so eventually we left not having seen the boat. We just felt a generally hostile atmosphere as if we, the customer, were a nuisance.

Then a couple of weeks ago we foolishly stopped by to get a new Nicholson’s book 5. Mid week, high season. Doors were locked and lights out with a sign on the door saying closed for lunch 13:00 to 14:00 but it was only 12:50. If you are going to advertise times of opening you should stick to them. Again, gives an impression of not valuing customers. Two strikes out of two visits and you’re out as far as I’m concerned.

Sounds like Reading Marine

:(

They told me my business was not worth having.

Edited by Laurie.Booth

Passed Halsall earlier today between Penkridge and Gailey. He was heading towards Autherly Junction. Fuel was 79ppl.

If you are heading towards the Shroppie and have enough fuel to get there, Turners at Wheaton Aston have diesel at 68.9ppl and Norbury Junction at 79ppl.

On 24/07/2018 at 08:24, Laurie.Booth said:

Sounds like Reading Marine

:(

They told me my business was not worth having.

Well they can keep telling everyone that and it might be ok for a bit, but it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually find they're wrong. ;)