t-mobile

saltysplash

Featured Posts

How good is this walk and web..... cant believe i have been incomunicado for the last 12 mths until i discovered this......fast...easy to install....dont even have to bother with an ISP

will it bite me on the bum for being on line for so long? :lol:

How good is this walk and web..... cant believe i have been incomunicado for the last 12 mths until i discovered this......fast...easy to install....dont even have to bother with an ISP

It hasn't me yet. Though my signal was so dodgy I was constantly switching between WAW, orange and 3. Apparently, if you go over their 'reasonable use' policy, they slow down your service but it's 1 gig for 3 and t-mobile and I've never discovered orange's limit. I use about a gig a month, mainly orange.

I've been on orange's £1 a day wap for about 2 years now, they've just introduced a £5 per week unlimited package. Typical now I'm no longer living aboard.

It hasn't me yet. Though my signal was so dodgy I was constantly switching between WAW, orange and 3. Apparently, if you go over their 'reasonable use' policy, they slow down your service but it's 1 gig for 3 and t-mobile and I've never discovered orange's limit. I use about a gig a month, mainly orange.

I've been on orange's £1 a day wap for about 2 years now, they've just introduced a £5 per week unlimited package. Typical now I'm no longer living aboard.

Just checked on me down load thingy...says...13.19 mbs......whats all that about? trust it will say when i reach 2GB then its incomunicado agin till the bill comes through

Just checked on me down load thingy...says...13.19 mbs......whats all that about? trust it will say when i reach 2GB then its incomunicado agin till the bill comes through

No that's the speed it's working at. If you go to the t-mobile website it should show you your data usage.

I use a T mobile USB connection which despite being inside the boat (admittedly I hang it near the window) gives me a reliable 3g signal with the odd drop back to High Speed.

I used Vodafone before and changed after they tried stitching me up for a £538 data bill for one month. It took literally weeks for them not to sort it out and they ignored 5 e-mails asking for a resolution. For me to have run up the kind of data usage they suggested - which was LESS than 1Gig- would have required me to be on lione, working at full download speed (they only ever managed 56k) for over 8 hours a day every day of the month.

Action was finally prompted when I bounced the direct debit and told them I'd see them in court.

Eventually a store told me that there was a known issue since a Windows update and if I would sign a letter promising to take the modem out of the PC when I wasn't actually using it they would refund it all. They initially offered to go halves with me and I said that I quite liked going to court could they please let me know when we were going. They backed down. They wouldn't let me out of the contract though so I a m still paying £25 a month but the modem is now in the kitchen drawer until it runs out.

My T mobile gives me 6Gig a month and the useage guide seems pretty accurate. Even with my very heavy use of it I have yet to get anywhere near the 6 Gig and I am well pleased with it.

will it bite me on the bum for being on line for so long? :smiley_offtopic:

We have been on web n walk for quite some time now, pay just under £20 a month - great value, we surf the net day and night and never get near the 2 gb fair usage limit, I am not sure but I think the limit is set to stop some users downloading stuff morning noon and night, we dont download much so for general surfing there does not seem to be a usage problem. The communication centre software that comes with web and walk has a usage monitor on it which tells you how much you have sent and received so you can see if you are getting near any limit.

regards

We have been on web n walk for quite some time now, pay just under £20 a month - great value, we surf the net day and night and never get near the 2 gb fair usage limit, I am not sure but I think the limit is set to stop some users downloading stuff morning noon and night, we dont download much so for general surfing there does not seem to be a usage problem. The communication centre software that comes with web and walk has a usage monitor on it which tells you how much you have sent and received so you can see if you are getting near any limit.

regards

so far the biggest chunk of download seems to be from my antivirus autoupdates so all is well and good. Managed to work out the usage monitor and not even close to 1gb yet. Thanks for the info

• 1 month later...

The problem I have found is that mobile related internet assumes you have a home elsewhere to download all the safety updates, such as windows, anti-virus etc. More often or not many do not have the land-line equiv and can easily find their cap being consumed by the very thing that are deemed essential before you even go out on the net.

Satellite is just too pricey, considering the things are up there being used for all manner of things anyway.

I am a very heavy user as I co-run a website and I also tinker with graphics. A picture can consume any cap within minutes. This is one aspect I am not looking forward to when I fully move on to my boat, if the damn thing ever gets fixed.

The problem I have found is that mobile related internet assumes you have a home elsewhere to download all the safety updates, such as windows, anti-virus etc. More often or not many do not have the land-line equiv and can easily find their cap being consumed by the very thing that are deemed essential before you even go out on the net.

Satellite is just too pricey, considering the things are up there being used for all manner of things anyway.

I am a very heavy user as I co-run a website and I also tinker with graphics. A picture can consume any cap within minutes. This is one aspect I am not looking forward to when I fully move on to my boat, if the damn thing ever gets fixed.

I write and look after numerous web sites from the boat. My contract with T Mobile gives me 6 Gig a month. I have never got anywhere near it despite handling a lot of images at 300 dpi and beyond, visiting u tube and getting every available Windows and Norton update going to all 3 machines that are connected to my boats' network.

Recent weather has seen a dip in performance speed wise but a recent tweak fixid it and I now roputinely get what they declare to be a 3.6 meg connection. Sent a 960k, 300 DPI image e-mail yesteday in a matter of secconds.

Ace customer support too - I used their e-mail help page and got a phone call next day from a real human who spoke English and solved the problem.

There's a difference between Web n Walk, which is a similar set-up to a home-based Net connection using your laptop, and Internet via a mobile phone, where the info etc appears in your phone's window. The former shouldn't have any updates/downloading issues whereas the latter is obviously no good for someone like me who needs t'Internet to be able to continue my job as a designer.

Am I right or am I talking a loada rubbish? I've never used either and this subject is very important to me as we prepare to become liveaboards. I have to get it right first time.

Has anyone else had experience with 3? I believe the reception is very good in our area and their set-up seems as good as T-Mobile's Web n Walk. I would prefer to use 3 simply because it doesn't have such a cheesey name as T-Mobile's!

There's a difference between Web n Walk, which is a similar set-up to a home-based Net connection using your laptop, and Internet via a mobile phone, where the info etc appears in your phone's window. The former shouldn't have any updates/downloading issues whereas the latter is obviously no good for someone like me who needs t'Internet to be able to continue my job as a designer.

Am I right or am I talking a loada rubbish? I've never used either and this subject is very important to me as we prepare to become liveaboards. I have to get it right first time.

Has anyone else had experience with 3? I believe the reception is very good in our area and their set-up seems as good as T-Mobile's Web n Walk. I would prefer to use 3 simply because it doesn't have such a cheesey name as T-Mobile's!

Web'n'Walk is mobile internet on the phone. I spoke with T-mobile and asked them how much it would cost me to use the mobile phone as a modem for my laptop. "4 quid", they said. Done deal.

Here's how it works out:

I have a standard £25 deal with T-mobile (for which I get an allowance of £60 to spend however I wish on calls and texts - none of this "45 minutes of calls and 18,000 texts per month" that some other networks foist on you). The Web'n'Walk element is an extra £7.50 per month, and the "unlimited" use of the phone as a modem, as I said, costs me £4.00. So, that's £36.50 per month for more calls and texts than I need, and fast-ish internet access (at about 130KB/sec). As far as network reception goes - I use the mobile as a modem inside the boat with no external aerial and have no problems. Maybe I'm lucky because of the area I'm in, but I have to say that Vodafone (for one) was completely useless. I have no experience of "3" (and you think T-mobile and Web'n'Walk are cheesy? B) )

JOTW

Maybe I've added to the confusion here. I do not use web 'n' walk.

I use on of T Mobile's USB modems to achieve my very fast and relaible connection.

My phone (on Voda) is web enabled in its' own right but as it also has wi-fi I bandwidth surf when I need a connection for the phone.

Same phone (Nokia E61I) is also great as a modem - have been known to use it via bluetooth if I need to dial up to the likes of Virgin / orange etc. for my customers who still use freespace to host web sites on. Reports over 120k

Voda - RUBBISH. They tried stitching me up for well over £500 one month - which considering I never got better than a 56k connection would have required me to spend every waking moment doing nothing but downloading at full pelt.

Told them I'd see them in court - they offered me a 50% reduction - I asked what court did they prefer - I got a refund.

I'm on 3 at the moment. It's the unlimited access offer: 400 free phone mins (I've still to use half that amount), no texts, £15 per month + internet access add-on, £5 per month.

edited to add: it claims 460kbps and it feels as quick as broadband so I see no reason to argue.

Edited by carlt

ive been using t-mobile since march, its been pretty good.

I use a data card in my laptop, sim card is in the data card. I use a mac so i needed to 3rd party software, i downloaded that, paid for it with paypal ( the money came from flogging some of my house stuff before we moved aboard) installed it on my laptop, it took less than a minute.

plugged the data card in, mac recognised the card, opened the software, click connect and bingo.. fastish connection. ive yet to get 3g levels of speed but its been not far off most of the time.

my download limit is 3gig, ive never gone anywhere near that.

I know how much data ive sent/received from the 3rd party software as it gives me a stats window telling me all i need to know.

I highly recommend the tmobile data web n walk, or web n walk for the laptop.

it comes with a USB pod looking modem now, the card is still available too.